Rama Sene founder sent to jail for a dayJanuary 29th, 2009 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mangalore, Jan 29 (IANS) Pramod Muthalik, founder-president of the Hindu radical outfit Sri Rama Sene whose activists assaulted and molested women in a Mangalore pub Saturday, was Thursday sent to jail for a day by a court.Muthalik was brought before the judicial magistrate’s court by police who had detained him from Davangere in central Karnataka, where he is facing a case of inciting communal disharmony.
The Mangalore court will decide Friday whether to hand him over to the custody of police or keep him in judicial custody or release him on bail.
Police have charged Muthalik with several offences including criminal conspiracy and creating or promoting enmity and hatred or ill-will between classes.
The Sene leader has defended the Mangalore attack - which was filmed by a television channel and shown to a shocked nation - by around 40 activists of his outfit during which young women were abused, slapped, pushed around and molested for being in a pub with a group of men and indulging in acts which he said were obscene and denigrative of Indian culture.
- Rama Sene founder detained for Mangalore pub attack - Jan 29, 2009
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Black-faced Muthalik demands justice - Feb 12, 2010
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court notice politically motivated: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 17, 2009
- Court denies bail to Shri Ram Sena chief - Jan 30, 2009
- Rama Sena founder held - but not for Mangalore attack - Jan 27, 2009
- Mangalore court rejects Rama Sene chief's bail plea - Jan 30, 2009
- Mangalore hooligans get bail, their leader promises to behave (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Ram Sene chief Muthalik attacked in Bangalore - Feb 11, 2010
- Valentine's Day was non-event in Bangalore, but not any more! - Feb 11, 2009
- No religion for purpose of statecraft: Parrikar - Jun 13, 2012
- Sri Ram Sene Chief Pramod Muthalik banned from Mangalore - Mar 16, 2009