Rally in Chhattisgarh supports Binayak SenJanuary 31st, 2011 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 30 (IANS) Dozens of members of the People’s Union of Civil Liberties (PUCL) and activists of Left parties marched here Sunday to support rights activist Binayak Sen, convicted on sedition charges last month by a court here.The PUCL members and workers of the Communist Party of India, the Chhattisgarh Mukti Morcha, the Adivasi Mahasabha and some other organisations such as the Ekta Parishad marched through Raipur from the city railway station to Budha Talab area in the heart of the city, to extend support to Sen.
The protestors slammed Chhattisgarh’s Bharatiya Janata Party-led government for targeting people who are trying to raise issues of human rights abuses in the state.
The doctor-turned right activist Sen is at present lodged in a central jail here after he was sentenced to life term by a trial court in Raipur Dec 24 on sedition charges over his links with Maoist ideologue Narayan Sanyal.
The court ruling has created a widespread resentment among right activists in India and abroad.
- Binayak Sen bail hearing to continue Tuesday - Jan 24, 2011
- Binayak Sen's bail plea rejected - Feb 10, 2011
- Binayak Sen moves high court against life term - Jan 06, 2011
- Foreign observers arriving in Bilaspur for Binayak Sen hearing - Jan 24, 2011
- Actors, filmmakers protest Binayak Sen's jail term - Jan 31, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Mukti Morcha calls for release of social activist Binayak Sen - Jan 31, 2011
- Supreme Court adjourns Binayak Sen's bail plea till Friday - Apr 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh right activists protest Binayak Sen's conviction - Dec 31, 2010
- Binayak cannot leave the country without permission - Apr 18, 2011
- Rights activist Binayak Sen convicted, arrested (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Chhattisgarh high court dismisses Binayak Sen's bail plea (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 10, 2011
- Binayak Sen walks out of jail, says I am no traitor - Apr 19, 2011
- Rights activist Binayak Sen convicted - Dec 24, 2010
- ABVP protests against Jethmalani, EU observers - Jan 24, 2011
- EU delegation attends hearing of Binayak Sen's bail plea - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, central jail, chhattisgarh, city railway station, civil liberties, communist party of india, dec 24, ekta parishad, heart of the city, human rights abuses, left parties, maoist, mukti, narayan, protestors, raipur, resentment, s union, sedition charges, trial court