Rajya Sabha bids farewell to six membersAugust 18th, 2011 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Hamid Ansari welcomed re-elected MPs Sitaram Yechury and Ahmed Patel and some new members to the house which bid farewell to six others as their terms ended Thursday.
Among those whose terms ended were Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) MP Brinda Karat, Mohammed Amin, Abani Roy of the Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) and Trinamool Congress MP Swapan Sadhan Bose - all from West Bengal.
From Gujarat, two Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs, Surendra Motilal Patel and Pravin Naik were bid farewell.
After a poor performance in the recent assembly elections in West Bengal, the CPI(M) had to let go two of its MPs, with only Sitaram Yechury being re-elected. Ally RSP is also down by one member.
Trinamool Congress, on the other hand, will see a rise in its strength by three members. Famous quiz master Derek O’Brien, Debabrata Bandopadhyay, Srinjoy Bose and Sukhendu Shekhar Roy have been elected from Trinamool, while Pradeep Bhattacharjee has been elected from the Congress.
From Gujarat, while Ahmed Patel of the Congress has been re-elected, BJP nominees television actor-turned-politician Smriti Irani and Dileep Pandey have been elected to the upper house.
- New Rajya Sabha members take oath - Aug 19, 2011
- Rajya Sabha candidates elected unopposed in Bengal - Jul 16, 2011
- Congress leader nominated as Trinamool's Rajya Sabha candidate - Jul 08, 2011
- Rajya Sabha race hots up in Congress' Bengal unit - Jul 05, 2011
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
- Trinamool MPs told to attend UPA lunch - Aug 05, 2012
- Campaigning ends in West Bengal for fourth phase polling - May 01, 2011
- Left says presidential candidate should be widely accepted - May 23, 2012
- Congress calls Trinamool stooge of BJP - Jan 04, 2012
- Left fears 'Trinamool-Maoist' violence during Bengal polls - Apr 13, 2011
- Campaign ends for third phase of Bengal polls - Apr 25, 2011
- Congress dubs Trinamool 'BJP stooge', asked to leave ministry (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Most parties cheer Singur order, CPI-M differs - Sep 28, 2011
- PM calls Mamata to seek support for Ansari - Jul 15, 2012
- Trinamool to continue opposition to reform legislations - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: actor turned politician, ahmed patel, assembly elections, bhattacharjee, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, debabrata, dileep, hamid ansari, pravin, quiz master, rajya sabha, revolutionary socialist party, sitaram yechury, smriti irani, surendra, swapan, television actor, trinamool congress, west bengal