Rajya Sabha adjourned twice following uproar over Antulay (Lead)December 22nd, 2008 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 22 (IANS) The Rajya Sabha was adjourned twice Monday morning following repeated uproar over the remarks by Minority Affairs Minister A.R. Antulay questioning the death of Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare during the Mumbai terror attack.MPs from the opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) shouted slogans Monday morning and advanced towards the presiding officer’s podium, demanding a statement from Home Minister P. Chidambaram or the prime minister over the affair.
As appeals from the presiding officer of the upper house of parliament - Vice President Hamid Ansari - failed to restore calm, he adjourned the house for 10 minutes at 11.10 a.m.
However, when the house reassembled after 10 minutes, the NDA MPs continued to shout slogans, despite Ansari saying: “Please don’t do this. The government has said it will make a statement.”
But the appeal did not pacify the opposition MPs. Ansari then adjourned the house till noon.
Antulay had hinted that Karkare’s death could be linked to the Sep 29 Malegaon bombing he was investigating and in which members of Hindu radical groups are the main suspects.
“Superficially speaking, they (terrorists) had no reason to kill Karkare. Whether he (Karkare) was a victim of terrorism or terrorism plus something I do not know.
“Karkare found that there are non-Muslims involved in acts of terrorism in some cases. Any person going to the roots of terrorism has always been the target,” Antulay had said, adding: “There is more than what meets the eye”.
- Rajya Sabha adjourned following uproar over Antulay - Dec 22, 2008
- Rajya Sabha adjourned again -- over insurance bill (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
- Rajya Sabha adjourned again, again over Antulay (Third Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
- Congress MPs add to Telangana chorus, Lok Sabha disrupted (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2011
- WikiLeaks: Walkout in Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted over cash-for-votes scandal (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Congress saw 'political opportunity' post 26/11: WikiLeaks (Lead) - Dec 11, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the third time (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Day 13: Parliament shuts again without business (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned twice over Antulay's Karkare remarks (Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
- Chidambaram drowned out in din, parliament adjourned again (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day, opposition demands government quit - Mar 17, 2011
- Antulay remarks disrupt Lok Sabha again (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
- Parliament adjourned again as JPC deadlock continues (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Uproar over price rise stalls parliament (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2010