Rajnath supports Uma Bharti on Ganga river’s cleaningMay 30th, 2011 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, May 30 (IANS) Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president and Ghaziabad MP Rajnath Singh Monday said the Ganga Action Plan has failed to clean the holy river even after an expenditure of over Rs.2,000 crore.
Supporting former party colleague Uma Bharti’s ‘Save Ganga’ initiative, the BJP leader said: “We support Umaji in this noble cause.”
“The decision to support Umaji is beyond the party and political lines. Since Ganga is the life line of Indians, there should not be a politics over it,” Rajnath Singh said.
Uma Bharti, who is on a fast in Uttarakhand’s Haridwar, Sunday called upon leaders to jointly save the river.
Rajnath Singh said the Ganga river basin was the largest in India and the fourth largest in the world, with a basin (catchment area) covering 861,404 sq km.
The state of Uttar Pradesh alone is responsible for over 50 percent of the pollutants entering the river along its entire journey to the sea.
It has a total length of 2,525 km, out of which 1,425 km is in Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh, 475 km in Bihar and 625 km in West Bengal.
There are more than 50 drains carrying untreated sewage into the river, he said.
- Here are some facts on the river Ganga - Mar 25, 2012
- BJP to support Uma Bharti's Save Ganga campaign: Gadkari - Jun 01, 2011
- BJP seeks PM's intervention to save temple - Jul 07, 2012
- BJP to campaign for Ganga - May 25, 2012
- Hope Mamata destroys Congress too, like other allies: Uma - Jul 11, 2011
- Crores spent on Ganga but pollution levels up: Uma Bharati - Jun 30, 2011
- Uma's return: Not everyone in Uttar Pradesh happy - Jun 07, 2011
- Cleansing polluted Ganga, Yamuna on BJP agenda - Feb 19, 2010
- BJP can't form government in UP, says Rajnath (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Uma Bharti homecoming may help BJP in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 07, 2011
- India signs agreement with World Bank to clean Ganga - Jun 14, 2011
- India awaits vote count with fingers crossed - Mar 05, 2012
- BJP plans brain storming session in Agra Aug 5-6 - Jul 30, 2012
- BJP to field Uma Bharti in UP polls - Jan 19, 2012
- Spiritual group prepares to clean entire Ganges - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bharti, bihar, bjp leader, bjp president, colleague, drains, ganga action plan, ganga river, haridwar, indians, journey, mp, pollutants, rajnath singh, river basin, rs 2, untreated sewage, uttarakhand, west bengal