Rajesh Talwar in ICU, may be unable to work again (Lead)January 25th, 2011 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) Rajesh Talwar, father of murdered teen Aarushi, was admitted in the intensive care unit (ICU) of Apollo Hospital with multiple injuries Tuesday after a grievous attack on him with a cleaver outside a Ghaziabad court. His lawyer said the dentist may be unable to work again as his hands were slashed badly.Talwar suffered a serious head injury with a major blood vessel being snapped. His hands were also slashed as he covered his face to stave off repeated attacks by Utsav Sharma, the same man who assaulted tainted Haryana police chief S.P.S. Rathore last year.
“Dr.Rajesh Talwar has been admitted with injuries at multiple sites. He is being clinically evaluated and treated by a multi-disciplinary team of doctors in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU),” said a statement issued by the Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in the evening.
Talwar’s lawyer Rebecca John earlier said he was undergoing surgery at the Apollo Hospital for his head injury. The injuries on his hands would require extensive reconstruction surgery, she said.
“Dr Talwar was hit at least thrice by Sharma who accosted him suddenly,” said an eyewitness.
The attack took place as Talwar was walking out of court after filing a protest petition against the CBI’s closure report on the case.
Talwar could be seen holding his head in pain as blood flowed out. The place was milling with hundreds of people, including television cameras, when the attack took place.
The court has adjourned the hearing to Feb 8. It has also ordered in camera proceedings of the case.
Aarushi, 14, was found murdered under mysterious circumstances in her parents’ Jalvayu Vihar apartment in Noida, May 16, 2008. Their domestic help Hemraj was initially suspected for the killing, but his body was found on the flat’s terrace a day later.
Talwar was arrested soon after the murders but let off when investigators could not find evidence to nail him.
- After attack, Talwar may be unable to work again - Jan 25, 2011
- Talwar stable, attacker blames emotions for the assault (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Talwar stable after surgery, say doctors - Jan 28, 2011
- Talwar family shaken by the attack: Lawyer - Jan 25, 2011
- Rajesh Talwar attacked with cleaver outside court (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Rathore's attacker now turns on Rajesh Talwar with cleaver (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- Utsav Sharma sent to judicial custody till Feb 8 - Jan 26, 2011
- Rajesh Talwar injured after attack outside court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Same man attacked Talwar, S.P.S. Rathore - Jan 25, 2011
- Rajesh Talwar attacked in Ghaziabad court - Jan 25, 2011
- Aarushi's father Rajesh Talwar attacked in court - Jan 25, 2011
- Same man attacked Talwar, S.P.S. Rathore (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Talwar out of danger, assailant questioned: Police - Jan 25, 2011
- Aarushi case: Talwars to receive CBI closure report, next hearing on Jan.21 - Jan 07, 2011
- Life 'extremely difficult' for Rajesh Talwar - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: blood vessel, cbi, cleaver, closure report, domestic help, head injury, indraprastha apollo hospital, intensive care unit, major blood, multi disciplinary team, murders, mysterious circumstances, noida, police chief, protest petition, rebecca john, reconstruction surgery, talwar, television cameras, utsav