Rajendra Arlekar elected unopposed as Goa speakerMarch 19th, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 19 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Rajendra Arlekar was Monday elected unopposed as the speaker of Goa’s 12th legislative assembly.
Arlekar, who was elected in the March 3 polls from the Pernem constituency in North Goa (the only constituency in Goa reserved for Scheduled Castes), was the only legislator in the 40-member house, whose name had been proposed for the post.
The election was held on the first day of the three-day budget session which got underway Monday. Arlekar was administered the oath of office by protem speaker Mahadev Naik.
The Congress has nominated former chief minister Pratapsing Rane as the leader of opposition.
The 40 member Goa legislative assembly has 21 BJP legislators, with two regional parties - the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (3 legislators) and the Goa Vikas Party (2 legislators) - and five independents backing the BJP while. The opposition Congress has nine members.
- Rajendra Arlekar elected Goa assembly Speaker (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Two Goa ex-chief ministers, six ministers defeated - Mar 06, 2012
- Family raj over and out in Goa? Think again - Mar 07, 2012
- After ousting Congress, BJP has to deliver on promises (Goa Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- BJP wins simple majority in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress MLA walked away with draft PAC report on mining: BJP - Oct 04, 2011
- Congress wins Goa's Valpoi bypoll - Oct 21, 2010
- Celebrations at BJP office in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Goa skips siesta to vote, turnout over 80 percent (Night Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Eight incumbent cabinet ministers lose polls in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Two new faces, 2 defectors in Congress list for Goa - Feb 04, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance win in Goa; to stake claim Wednesday (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Five Christians in BJP's first list of Goa poll candidates - Feb 06, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance routs Congress-NCP in Goa (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Kamat resigns as Goa chief minister - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: budget session, castes, chief minister, constituency, goa speaker, independents, leader of opposition, legislative assembly, legislator, legislators, mahadev, maharashtrawadi gomantak party, north goa, oath of office, opposition congress, panaji, party 3, rane, regional parties, vikas