Rajdhani Express’ 40th birthday celebrated at Howrah stationMarch 3rd, 2009 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 3 (IANS) The Kolkata Rajdhani Express train celebrated its 40th birthday with cakes, music and flowers at Howrah station Tuesday evening.
The entire station was in a festive mood since morning. The train was decorated with flowers and its passengers were given a red-carpet welcome. A special postal cover with the picture of Rajdhani Express was also released to mark the day.
Security was stepped up at all platforms and no one was allowed to enter the station without a ticket. Additional security force was also deployed along with metal detectors and sniffer dogs.
“The first Rajdhani Express started its journey from the Howrah station on March 3, 1969. To celebrate this occasion, we have arranged for special welcome for passengers of the train. They were given roses, special greeting cards, sweet boxes with rasgullas, laddoos and pastries and copper key rings,” Eastern Railway spokesperson Samir Goswami told IANS Tuesday evening.
“While on board, there will be special items like tangri kabab on the menu,” Goswami said.
Several dignitaries, including Bengali actor Prosenjit, singer Usha Uthup, classical musician Ustad Rashid Khan, musician Bikram Ghosh, dancers Dona Ganguly and Tanushree Shankar and general manager of Eastern Railway Deepak Krishnan were present at platform no. 9 to witness the historic moment.
“Usha Uthup even sang a self-composed song on Rajdhani Express,” Goswami said.
“Everyone waved green flags and the Railway Police Force (RPF) band started playing as the train left the station for Delhi at 4.45 p.m.,” Goswami said.
- Special train leaves Kolkata for train accident site - Jul 10, 2011
- Angry passengers ransack portion of Howrah railway station - Dec 29, 2010
- Five killed in train accident - Mar 31, 2012
- Delhi bound Rajdhani express derails in Bengal - Jun 16, 2011
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
- Now hear Rabindra Sangeet inside trains - Aug 08, 2011
- Rajdhani derailment: Railway safety panel begins probe - Jun 16, 2011
- New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani engine develops snag, derails - Aug 30, 2010
- Cigarette ban up in smoke in Kolkata stations - Nov 04, 2010
- Seven trains cancelled after Bengal accident - Aug 01, 2011
- Train accident averted in Bengal - Aug 03, 2012
- One dead in Bengal train collision - Jan 08, 2012
- One dead in Bengal train collision, Railways announce compensation (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Chronology of major Indian train accidents since 2000 - Jul 30, 2012
- Fire at Howrah station - Feb 26, 2012