Rajbir Singh murder accused undergoes polygraph testJune 13th, 2008 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Friday conducted a lie detector test on Vijay Bhardwaj, arrested for killing Delhi Police’s controversial assistant commissioner of police Rajbir Singh. Bhardwaj, presently in judicial custody, was brought to the CBI headquarters, in the national capital, from Ambala in Haryana Friday morning.
“Vijay Bhardwaj has been subjected to a lie detector test,” said a CBI spokesman.
According to reliable sources in the agency, Bhardwaj was questioned about overseas calls made and received on his cell phone before the killing.
The agency also grilled him about the hefty amount deposited into his bank accounts after the murder of Singh, who was often dubbed as “encounter specialist”.
Singh, 48, was shot dead March 24 in the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road office of property dealer Bhardwaj. Singh had earned the reputation of a super cop, taking on tough cases and solving them. Critics often accused him of using extra-judicial methods and of human rights violations.
Singh was instrumental in cracking the terror attacks on parliament in 2001 and the Red Fort in 2000. He had over 50 ‘kills’ to his credit.
Bhardwaj, who claimed to be Singh’s acquaintance of 20 years, confessed within hours of the incident that he had killed the policeman as the latter had been threatening him over financial deals.
The Gurgaon police, that probed the crime earlier, said that Bhardwaj, 42, confessed to firing two bullets at Singh’s head with a .32 bore revolver. The weapon, according to Bhardwaj, was given to him by Singh three days earlier.
The CBI took over the case June 3 after the victim’s family complained that the police were not investigating the case properly.
Sources in the CBI said the investigating team has come to the conclusion that Bhardwaj was only taking the blame on himself to save someone else.
After initial investigations, it has been found that two Dubai-based companies, which suffered losses due to Singh’s actions, had hired a professional killer to murder him, highly placed sources told IANS.
According to the CBI probe, the private companies had been keeping a track on Singh’s movements.
- CBI file charges in Delhi cop murder case - Jun 21, 2008
- Gangster Munna Bajrangi suspected behind ACP Rajbir's murder held (Lead) - Oct 29, 2009
- 'Rajbir was murdered by professional killer' - Jun 09, 2008
- BMW case: Police plea for test identification rejected - May 17, 2012
- Shehla murder: CBI gets remand of another accused - Mar 20, 2012
- Gurgaon BMW hit-and-run: Order on police plea reserved - May 16, 2012
- CBI to 'recreate' RTI activist's murder scene - Sep 05, 2011
- Accused in Gurgaon BMW hit-and-run gets bail - May 15, 2012
- No clean chit to BJP legislator in Shehla murder case: CBI - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP MLA to be put through lie detector test in Masood murder case - Mar 09, 2012
- CBI visits Shehla Masood's house with shooter - Mar 11, 2012
- Woman pub employee gang raped in Gurgaon (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- BJP MP, to be quizzed, praises murdered activist - Sep 01, 2011
- Two Rajasthan cops surrender in Dara Singh killing - Jul 30, 2012
- Shehla murder: BJP legislator offers to quit party post - Mar 14, 2012