Rajasthan woman sells son for Rs.40,000, heldAugust 9th, 2012 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 9 (IANS) A woman, her husband and two others were arrested Thursday for selling her new-born son for Rs.40,000 in Rajathan’s Sriganganagar town, police said.
Sandhya Devi sold the child to her neighbour and his wife to get money for the treatment of her two-year-old paralytic son. She lives in Satya Farm neighbourhood in the town, some 500 km from Jaipur, police said.
“She had taken her paralytic son to a hospital in Udaipur where the doctors told her that his treatment would cost around Rs.40,000,” said an officer.
“Sandhya was pregnant at that time. When her neighbour Vinod Agarwal came to know that she was in need of money, he offered to bear the treatment cost of her paralytic son. In exchange, he demanded that she would have to sell her baby after delivery, in case it is a boy,” said the officer.
The officer said that Agarwal paid Rs.20,000 to Sandhya after she gave birth to a baby boy recently and said that he would pay the remaining amount after she handed over the new-born to him.
The team of anti-human trafficking branch of police got a tip-off about the illegal deal to sell the baby after which an investigation was launched.
A first information report was registered against Sandhya, her husband Ashok, neighbour Agarwal and his wife Shakuntala Devi Wednesday evening. “They were arrested Thursday,” said the officer.
- Woman burns mother to death for property, held - Nov 05, 2011
- Mother for mercy killing of two kids - Sep 05, 2012
- Poverty-stricken woman sells infant to pay debt - Sep 04, 2012
- Pakistani doctor held for selling babies - Jun 04, 2011
- New-born girl dumped near sewer in Udaipur - Apr 14, 2012
- Two women held for stealing baby - Dec 30, 2011
- Woman dumps new-born girl from moving vehicle - Feb 09, 2012
- Woman who duped six 'husbands' held - Feb 23, 2012
- Three arrested for abducting, selling woman - May 14, 2010
- FIR against Sikar government hospital head - Aug 28, 2012
- Woman in Russia jailed for selling newborn son - Jun 03, 2011
- Woman commits suicide along with two sons in Rajasthan - Jul 27, 2012
- Baby girl found abandoned by wayside - Sep 04, 2011
- Woman drowns three kids, self - Oct 25, 2011
- Sonia visits Jaipur areas devastated by heavy rains - Aug 30, 2012