Rajasthan to soon have girl child policyJune 22nd, 2012 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, June 22 (IANS) A girl child policy is in the offing in Rajasthan. The state has initiated the process for formulation and adoption of the policy, the first of its kind, on a special request by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, officials said Friday.
“The policy, in addition to specific emphasis on saving girls, will also address the important issue of child rights,” said Sarita Singh, principal secretary, women and child development, Rajasthan.
Making the announcement on the concluding day of a workshop on gender-based discrimination and declining sex ratio here, she said the policy would also have a chapter devoted to the role, contribution and responsibilities of civil society organisations.
Sarita Singh called upon NGOs and child rights groups to submit their suggestions on promoting a positive mindset about girls. She said all tendencies encouraging female foeticide and infanticide must be nipped in the bud.
The two-day workshop was organised jointly by three NGOs - Action Aid, Prayatn and Jago Sakhi Seva Sansthan. Held under the banner of Chaahat Hai Jeeney Ki (we want to live), the workshop provided a common platform to different stakeholders for discussing challenges and struggle of women in the state.
The event also attracted participants from other states who shared their experiences.
Global organisations such as UNICEF and Plan International were also represented in the workshop.
The participants also discussed the issue of gender budgeting.
- Post Aamir, Rajasthan for policy to save girl child - May 11, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Infant deaths down in Rajasthan - Sep 21, 2010
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- Body of day-old girl found in well in Rajasthan - Jun 12, 2012
- Rajasthan couple tries to bury new born girl alive - Jul 03, 2012
- Girl foetus found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Newborn girl found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jul 07, 2011
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Woman arrested for killing daughter - Jan 07, 2012
- Body of newborn girl found - Mar 27, 2012
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: ashok, chief minister, child development, female foeticide, gender budgeting, girl child, infanticide, jago, mindset, ngos, principal secretary, rights groups, sakhi, sarita, sex ratio, society organisations, special request, stakeholders, tendencies, unicef