Rajasthan theme state at Surajkund fair this yearJanuary 18th, 2010 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 18 (IANS) Rajasthan will be the “theme state” and Tajikistan will be “partner country” at the internationally-recognized Surajkund Crafts Mela (fair) to be organised in Haryana’s Faridabad district near New Delhi Feb 1-15.
All member countries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC), Thailand and Egypt will participate in the fair that attracts thousands of visitors from the country as well as foreign tourists.
Over 400 crafts-persons from different parts of the country are expected to participate in the fair, a state government spokesman said here Monday.
He added that the Surajkund Crafts Mela showcased fascinating display of the country’s rich culture, ancient crafts traditions and glimpses of heritage. From weavers to folk dancers, theatre troupes, jugglers and roadside magicians - all are part of the fair.
Artistes from participating states and countries will perform during the fair.
Making a modest beginning in 1981, the Surajkund crafts fair has become a popular event over the years. International acknowledgement has come to the event with scores of foreigners coming to see the best of traditional Indian craftsmen display their skills and art.
Surajkund (the pond of Sun god) owes its name to an ancient amphitheatre sun pool, dating to the 10th century, located there. It was built by King Suraj Pal, a follower of the Sun god. The place is located in the Aravalli mountain range, 10 km from South Delhi.
- Now, Kerala too wants a Surajkund type fair - Feb 09, 2010
- Surajkund Mela to go international - Jun 07, 2012
- Miss Universe visits Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 03, 2011
- 15-day Surajkund crafts fair begins near capital - Feb 01, 2011
- Surajkund fair marks silver jubilee, begins Tuesday - Jan 31, 2011
- Surajkund fair wows Mexican Miss Universe (Lead, With Images) - Feb 03, 2011
- President Patil to inaugurate Surajkund crafts fair - Dec 16, 2008
- Surajkund crafts fair to go international this year - Jan 11, 2009
- Surajkund crafts fair begins on vibrant note - Feb 01, 2010
- Sri Lanka seeks Haryana's help to organise crafts fair - Feb 08, 2010
- Footfalls increase at Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 10, 2011
- 10-day crafts fair kicks off in Chandigarh - Oct 24, 2009
- Surajkund fair, a major draw for art and craft lovers - Feb 09, 2011
- US forges connect with India through green crafts - Apr 21, 2012
- Indian lessons for Kenyan bead weavers (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: ancient crafts, faridabad, folk dancers, follower, glimpses, government spokesman, indian craftsmen, jugglers, magicians, member countries, partner country, rich culture, south asian association, south asian association for regional cooperation, south delhi, sun god, suraj, theatre troupes, visitors from the country, weavers