Rajasthan IPS officer surrenders in Dara Singh caseFebruary 28th, 2012 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Feb 27 (IANS) Suspended Indian Police Service (IPS) officer A.K. Jain surrendered before a court in Rajasthan Monday, nine months after he disappeared fearing arrest for his alleged role in the case of killing of criminal Dara Singh in a staged shoot-out, a lawyer said.
The special CBI court here remanded Jain, who was additional director general of police for home guards before his disappearance in May last year, to one-day judicial custody.
The officer is a proclaimed offender in the case in which Dara Singh was gunned down by a team of state police’s Special Operations Group (SOG) on the outskirts of Jaipur Oct 23, 2006.
Jain came to the court along with his lawyers around 4 p.m. Monday.
CBI counsel told the court that the investigation officer of the case from the agency was not present in the court.
“The court then sent Jain to one-day judicial custody. He had filed some applications regarding security in jail, home cooked food and medical attention which the court has accepted. He will be provided security in the jail and medical treatment if needed,” said CBI counsel Sarfaraz Haider Khan.
The CBI had earlier seized Jain’s properties on a court’s order. An arrest warrant had also been issued against Jain July 8. Later, he was declared a proclaimed offender.
Jain is among the two IPS officers who are accused in the case. While Inspector General of Police A. Ponnuchami has been arrested, Jain had gone missing.
Apart from Ponnuchami, the CBI arrested nine other policemen - Inspectors Nisar Khan, Naresh Sharma and Subhash Godara, sub-inspectors Satyanarayan Godara and Munshi Lal, assistant sub-inspector Surendra Singh, constables Jagraj and Bardi Prasad and driver Sardar Singh - in the case.
Four other policemen - Arsad Ali, Rajesh Chaudhary, Zulfikar and Arvind - are still on the run.
- Court nod for seizing Rajasthan cop's properties - Aug 20, 2011
- Suspended IPS officer's judicial custody extended - Feb 29, 2012
- Staged shootout: Charges framed against Rajasthan IPS officer - May 01, 2012
- Bail denied to suspended cop in Dara Singh killing - Mar 02, 2012
- Rajasthan legislator held for 2006 'staged' shootout - Apr 05, 2012
- Ex-cop gets bail in Rajasthan staged shootout - Aug 25, 2011
- Custody of five Rajasthan Police officers extended - May 26, 2011
- Dara Singh case: BJP leader named in charge sheet - Jun 03, 2011
- Custody of senior Rajasthan BJP leader extended - Apr 09, 2012
- Warrant for arrest of senior Rajasthan cops - May 17, 2011
- Four Rajasthan cops accused of staged gunfight surrender - Jul 26, 2011
- Rajasthan top cop evading arrest, removed from post - Jun 02, 2011
- Rajasthan BJP legislator to be tried for staged shootout - Apr 24, 2012
- Court extends Rajasthan BJP leader's judicial custody - Apr 16, 2012
- Rajasthan police officer denied bail in Dara Singh killing - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: arrest warrant, arvind, bardi, cbi court, constables, dara singh, haider khan, home cooked food, indian police service, ips officer, ips officers, jain, judicial custody, munshi, proclaimed offender, rajesh, sarfaraz, special operations group, surendra singh, zulfikar