Rajasthan family keeps two deranged members chainedSeptember 8th, 2011 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Nagaur (Rajasthan), Sep 8 (IANS) Two mentally-ill men here have been kept in chains for years as their kin are unable to afford their treatment, even as the state government’s assurances of help have not yielded any results, a family member said Thursday.
Manaram, 45, a resident of Akla village in Nagaur district, some 250 km from Jaipur, and his brother’s grandson Chenaram, 15, are kept tied to two separate beds.
“We started to keep Manaram in chains after he developed some mental illness about 15 years ago and became violent and hysteric. He started throwing stones at neighbours. It became the cause of frequent quarrels with other villagers, so we were compelled to keep him tied,” his brother Khiyaram told IANS over phone.
He said he could not afford proper treatment for his brother.
“I am a labourer and hardly earn Rs.100 a day,” he added.
The family’s troubles were compounded when Khiyaram’s son Chenaram too started showing the same symptoms when he was around 10 years old.
When both of them become violent, the family members give them sleeping pills to calm them down.
Khiyaram said efforts to get help from authorities have proved futile.
“I have taken both of them to senior officials in the administration and sought help. The officials assured me of including us in the below poverty line (BPL) category and providing help under various government schemes, but nothing has happened so far,” he said.
In the absence of proper treatment, the family has taken the duo to various quacks and witch doctors.
“But this too has not helped,” Khiyaram added.
- Mental patient chained to tree for over five years - Mar 04, 2011
- Rajasthan family keeps mentally ill woman in chains - Apr 15, 2012
- Chained for 12 years, mentally ill awaits help - Oct 16, 2011
- Chained for 15 years, Rajasthan man turns mentally challenged - Sep 04, 2012
- Mentally-ill girl in chains for 17 years - Apr 08, 2011
- With son in chains, 75-year-old seeks help - Apr 26, 2010
- Mental illness behind her, but nowhere to go (Feature) - Jul 31, 2012
- Delhi policeman's wife commits suicide - Mar 11, 2012
- Cricket ball-size stone removed from man's bladder (With Images) - Feb 22, 2012
- Father hacks two kids to death in UP - May 18, 2012
- Doctor detained in murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- Norway killer's friends viewed him as gay - May 29, 2012
- Dementia, a 'silent tsunami' - Apr 11, 2012
- Three held for murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 12, 2012
- Once a teacher, now violent and in chains - May 20, 2010
Tags: assurances, chains, deranged members, family member, family members, government schemes, ill men, jaipur, labourer, mental illness, neighbours, poverty line, quacks, quarrels, senior officials, separate beds, sleeping pills, state government, throwing stones, witch doctors