Rajasthan couple tries to bury new born girl aliveJuly 3rd, 2012 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, July 3 (IANS) Police are looking for the parents of a new-born girl who was rescued by some villagers in Rajasthan’s Dausa district minutes before she was to be buried alive, officials said Tuesday.
According to police, some villagers Monday heard the wailing of a baby coming from a farm land near Todarwas village in Dausa district, some 100 km from Jaipur.
“They reached the spot and saw a couple fleeing from the place. The villagers tried to chase them, but they escaped. Later, the villagers found a girl lying near a newly dug-up pit. The villagers say that the couple was attempting to bury the girl alive. The girl seems to be a day-old,” a police officer said.
The villagers informed police. “The girl was admitted to a hospital. She was suffering from fever. However, her condition is now normal,” said the officer.
He added that a first information report has been registered against the unidentified couple.
Several incidents of girls being abandoned by their parents have been reported in Rajasthan of late.
An eight-month-old girl was found wrapped in a cloth near a reservation window of the Rajasthan Roadways bus stand in Bundi May 19. Similarly, an infant girl, apparently abandoned by her parents, was found at the doorstep of a children’s home in Udaipur May 9.
According to Census 2011, Rajasthan now has 883 girls between the ages of 0-6 for every 1,000 boys. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909.
Due to alarming number of female foeticide and infanticide cases, the Rajasthan government in May announced it would frame a “girl policy”.
- Body of day-old girl found in well in Rajasthan - Jun 12, 2012
- Girl foetus found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Search on for abandoned girl's parents in Rajasthan - May 23, 2012
- 2-year-old girl abandoned in Rajasthan's Jhunjhunu - May 26, 2012
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Honour for women delivering girl child - Aug 09, 2012
- Baby girl found abandoned by wayside - Sep 04, 2011
- New-born girl dumped in pit - Mar 04, 2012
- Newborn girl found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jul 07, 2011
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Woman arrested for killing daughter - Jan 07, 2012
- Body of newborn girl found - Mar 27, 2012
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- Another newborn girl's body found in Jaipur - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: alarming number, born girl, bundi, census, child sex, dausa, doorstep, female foeticide, fever, infant girl, infanticide cases, information report, old girl, police officer, rajasthan government, rajasthan roadways, reservation window, sex ratio, udaipur, unidentified couple