Rajapaksa visits Pakistan (Lead)February 10th, 2012 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 10 (IANS) Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa arrived in Pakistan Friday on a three-day state visit.
Rajapaksa was received at the Chaklala air base in Rawalpindi by Senate chairman Farooq Hamid Naek and Minister for States and Frontier Regions Shaukat Ullah, the Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
Rajapaksa is visiting Pakistan at the invitation of his counterpart Asif Ali Zardari. He will also meet Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
The talks would focus on political, defence, cultural, tourism, media and trade relations. A number of bilateral agreements are expected to be signed.
Pakistan is the second largest trade partner of Sri Lanka. Colombo was among the first to sign a free trade agreement with Islamabad.
Sri Lanka enjoys duty free market access on 206 products in Pakistan while Pakistan has duty free access on 102 products in Sri Lanka.
The Sri Lankan delegation includes Foreign Minister G.L. Peiris, secretary to the president Lalith Weeratunga and media advisor Bandula Jayasekara.
Rajapaksa will also visit Taxila and other Buddhist heritage sites.
- Pakistan, Sri Lanka to increase trade to over $2 bn - Feb 11, 2012
- Rajapaksa visits Pakistan - Feb 10, 2012
- Rajapaksa concludes Pakistan visit - Feb 13, 2012
- Bangladesh, Sri Lanka to boost trade - Apr 20, 2011
- Fishermen's killing: Sri Lanka wants more information - Jan 31, 2011
- India signs $416-mn deal for railway track in Sri Lanka - Nov 26, 2010
- Nirupama Rao discusses fishermen killings with Lankan Govt. - Jan 31, 2011
- Zardari sets $2 bn trade target with Sri Lanka - Feb 11, 2012
- Rajapaksa meets UAE envoy - Aug 28, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka ink four pacts - Jan 17, 2012
- India asks Sri Lanka to launch dialogue for political settlement - Nov 26, 2010
- Krishna heads to Lanka, hopes for solution to Tamils' problems (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged - Jun 29, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: asif ali, bandula, bilateral agreements, counterpart, cultural tourism, farooq, foreign minister, free trade agreement, frontier regions, hamid, mahinda rajapaksa, market access, naek, peiris, president mahinda rajapaksa, rawalpindi, senate chairman, sri lanka colombo, sri lankan president, trade partner