Rajapaksa, Manmohan to meet for talksSeptember 20th, 2012 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Bhopal, Sep 20 (IANS) India Thursday will press Sri Lanka to speed up an inclusive solution to the decades-long ethnic issue when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh meets President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Rajapaksa began a three-day visit to India Wednesday night. He has been invited by the Madhya Pradesh government for the foundation stone-laying ceremony of the University of Buddhist and Indic Studies in Sanchi.
His visit comes amid anger in sections in Tamil Nadu about the alleged persecution of Sri Lankan Tamils during the last phase of the war with the LTTE that ended in May 2009.
Manmohan Singh will meet Rajapaksa at his 7, Race Course Road for wide-ranging talks and host a dinner for the visiting leader.
India is expected to press Colombo to fast-track the rehabilitation of war-displaced Tamils in Sri Lanka and urge it to apeed up a lasting solution to the ethnic issue, said informed sources.
Rajapaksa will also meet President Pranab Mukherjee.
In Madhya Pradesh, around half-a-dozen supporters of MDMK protesting the visit of Rajapaksa were detained at Salamatpur near Sanchi, police said Thursday.
MDMK general secretary Vaiko, who arrived in Nagpur with over 1,000 supporters on way to Sanchi, Wednesday attacked the central government and the BJP-led Madhya Pradesh government for inviting Rajapaksa.
In March, India voted for a US-backed resolution on Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva. India said it was aimed at speeding up the reconciliation process in the island nation.
India has voiced disappointment over the slow pace of reconciliation in Sri Lanka and the lack of progress in implementing the recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission, a panel Colombo set up to probe charges of human rights violations.
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil situation, bilateral ties (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Manmohan meets Rajapaksa, presses for fast-tracking Tamil solution (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Rajapaksa to meet Manmohan Thursday - Sep 19, 2012
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged - Jun 29, 2012
- Krishna heads to Sri Lanka, devolution tops agenda - Jan 15, 2012
- Reconciliation ministry mooted in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Mathai to visit Sri Lanka - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: dozen supporters, ethnic issue, human rights violations, island nation, lessons learnt, madhya pradesh government, mahinda rajapaksa, manmohan, manmohan singh, mdmk, nation india, pranab mukherjee, president mahinda rajapaksa, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reconciliation commission, slow pace, sri lankan tamils, un human rights council, vaiko