Raja Bhaiya inspects Lucknow jail, pulls up staffMarch 24th, 2012 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 24 (IANS) Facing as many as three incidents of jail riots in different parts of Uttar Pradesh in the last fortnight, state Jails Minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh aka Raja Bhaiyya Saturday inspected the Lucknow Jail and asked prison officials to “improve living conditions”.
On an unscheduled visit to the jail, Raja Bhaiyya went through the barracks and met the inmates.
Prison official Duddhi Maurya told IANS that the minister spent three hours inspecting the prison and gave “guidelines about the upkeep of the prison and facilities for jail inmates”.
Airing his displeasure at the quality of food being served to prisoners, the minister warned officials of severe punitive action if “course correction was not initiated immediately”.
Asking jail authorities to ensure more greenery, the minister also ordered that water coolers be installed in the prison premises.
Asking officials to treat prisoners as any other humans, Raja Bhaiyya told them that he would return to see if his orders were being implemented or not.
The minister also went to the Women’s Jail and inspected the facilities there. Miffed at the “poor show”, he ordered suspension of Jail Superintendent Amita Dubey.
- Raja Bhaiya orders coolers for prisoners - Apr 10, 2012
- Sack Raja Bhaiyya from UP cabinet, demands BSP - May 11, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Jail riot in UP after prisoner's death - Mar 21, 2012
- Akhilesh so far, walks in the shadow of Mulayam (News Analysis) - Mar 20, 2012
- UP's food scam: CBI raids 12 places in Lucknow - Apr 21, 2012
- Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injured - Mar 11, 2012
- Prisoners beat up Rajasthan jailor - Mar 21, 2012
- Pak court directs jail authorities to give Taseer's assassin all amenities as per Prisons Act - Feb 11, 2011
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
- UP taking steps to save food grain from rains - Jun 28, 2012
- Skeleton found in Mumbai jail - Dec 04, 2010
- BSP man killed as violence continues in UP despite appeals - Mar 10, 2012
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Tihar warms up to its inmates - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: bhaiya, displeasure, fortnight, greenery, jail authorities, jail inmates, pratap singh, premises, prison official, prison officials, prisoners, punitive action, raja bhaiyya, riots, spent three, state jails, superintendent, upkeep, water coolers