Raj Thackeray’s appeal deferred till Nov 14October 25th, 2008 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 25 (IANS) The Jharkhand High Court Saturday deferred till Nov 14 the hearing on a plea by Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray on an arrest warrant issued against him for allegedly denegrating Chhath Puja, observed by millions in Bihar. A single bench of B.K. Sinha fixed the hearing to Nov 14, Thackeray’s lawyer Neeraj Rai said.
Thackeray had moved Jharkhand High Court against a non-bailable arrest warrant issued by a Jamshedpur court Sep 30.
Hamid Raza, a lawyer of Jamshedpur, had filed a case against Thackeray Feb 2 this year. “Raj Thackeray talked nonsense about Chhath Puja Jan 30 this year. He had tried to hurt the religious sentiments and his statement had caused violence against outsiders,” said Raza.
The court took cognizance of the case and issued an arrest warrant against Thackeray Sep 30 and directed him to appear before the court on or before Nov 17.
The warrant issued by Jamshedpur court in Hamid Raza case reached Mumbai police commissioner Monday. Now Mumbai police have to execute the warrant.
Another arrest warrant issued by another court of Jamshedpur is also pending against Raj Thackrey.
Before hearing of the case Saturday, Lok Jansakti Party (LJP) workers including a few lawyers took out a procession near High Court requesting lawyers not to argue on behalf of Raj Thackeray. “Do not argue in court in favour of anti-national Raj Thackeray,” were banners displayed by the LJP supporters.
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Jamshedpur court seeks clarification on Thackeray warrant - Nov 17, 2008
- Jharkhand High Court rejects Raj Thackeray's case transfer plea - Dec 22, 2008
- Thackeray asked to appear before Jamshedpur court by Dec 18 - Dec 01, 2008
- Two arrest warrants pending against Raj Thackeray in Jharkhand - Oct 21, 2008
- Jharkhand court rejects Raj Thackeray plea - Nov 19, 2008
- Raj Thackeray arrested after surrender in Mumbai court - Nov 15, 2008
- Arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Fresh arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Court seeks report on plea against Raj Thackeray - Sep 13, 2012
- Raj arrested, freed on bail (Second Lead) - Nov 15, 2008
- Bihar court issues arrest warrant against Raj Thackeray - Oct 06, 2009
- Jharkhand High Court to hear Raj Thackeray''s petition - Nov 14, 2008
- Fodder scam: Petition filed to make Nitish Kumar an accused - Sep 07, 2012
- Jamshedpur court sends warrant for Raj Thackeray - Oct 20, 2008