Raise Brahmaputra diversion issue with China: BJPJune 13th, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Amid reports of Beijing considering plans to divert the Brahmaputra river from its upper reaches, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday said there was need to raise the issue with China.
“These are reports of real concern to India,” BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
“For last two years, there have been reports that the Chinese government wants to divert the Brahmaputra from where it flows from the Himalayas. If it gets diverted, we will have terrible ecological and other problems which will effect the economy of the whole region,” Javadekar told Times Now channel.
Javadekar said that he had raised the matter in the Rajya Sabha, but he was told that the issue had been taken up with the “Chinese authorities and there is no such plan”.
“If that is the position, it is ok. If there are some fresh evidence, we should take it up with the Chinese government with all seriousness,” he added.
According to reports, China is building a dam in the Himalayas to divert the Tsangpo river, which is the source river of Brahmaputra originating from the Himalayas in China.
Earlier in the day, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said that India has sought details from the Chinese government through its embassy in Beijing.
–Indo-ASian News Service
- India seeking details on Brahmaputra diversion (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Difficult to verify Chinese activities on Brahmaputra: Minister - Jul 03, 2011
- 'India keeping watch on China's Brahmaputra plans' - Jun 14, 2011
- No threat from China dam on Brahmaputra: Manmohan Singh - Aug 04, 2011
- India should be careful in dealing with China: Dolma - Mar 26, 2012
- Keep an eye on China's dam plan, says Khursheed - Apr 04, 2011
- China dam no cause for immediate concern: India - Jun 14, 2011
- No sign of China diverting Brahmaputra water, says India - May 21, 2012
- Satellites to verify China's claim on Brahmaputra: India (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Gogoi to meet Krishna on Brahmaputra dam issue - Jun 15, 2011
- India taking up China dam issue: Arunachal minister - Aug 11, 2010
- Brahmputra diversion? India seeking details from embassy in China - Jun 13, 2011
- Dams in Arunachal easy target for China: Bahuguna - Dec 08, 2010
- Engage China in water dialogue: Experts - Feb 13, 2012
- RSS chief apprehensive about China's plans to build a dam on Brahmaputra - Feb 01, 2010
Tags: asian news, beijing, bjp, brahmaputra river, building a dam, chinese authorities, chinese government, diversion, external affairs minister, himalayas, indo, krishna, New Delhi, prakash, rajya sabha, seriousness, spokesperson, tsangpo river, upper reaches, vm