Rainstorms kill 12 in southern ChinaJune 14th, 2008 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 13 (Xinhua) At least 12 people have been killed in rainstorms that lashed the southern part of China for the past two days, officials said Friday. Millions of people have been affected in the storm in Jiangxi, Hunan, Hubei and Anhui provinces, as well as the Guangxi Zhuang region.
More than 10,000 houses were damaged in the torrential rain that also disrupted traffic and caused landslides.
More that 300 mm of rainfall was recorded in the Guangxi and Hunan regions alone in the past two days.
Five people were killed in landslides and several houses collapsed in Guangxi.
Navigation on the Lijiang river near the Guilin City had to be suspended due to continuous and heavy downpour, officials said.
The water level of the river at the Wuzhou section crossed the danger level mark Friday morning.
In the neighbouring Hunan province, more than 50,000 people have been evacuated after rainstorms hit several counties in the province.
The government has sent tents for people in the affected regions.
In the eastern Jiangxi Province, a woman was killed in a landslide.
In Guangdong province, four people were killed after their house collapsed Friday, and in a separate incident a couple was electrocuted, officials said.
- 44 killed in China floods - Jun 10, 2011
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- 55,000 evacuated as fresh floods hit China - Jun 15, 2011
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- Over 1.5 mn people affected in China floods - Jul 15, 2011
- 14 missing after houses collapse in China - Jun 15, 2010
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- Rains, floods hit China - Jun 28, 2012
- 50 dead, 42 missing in China floods - Jun 30, 2012
- Floods kill 50 in China - Jun 11, 2011
- China floods toll rises to 175 - Jun 21, 2010
- China on highest flood alert, 550,000 evacuated - Jun 17, 2011
- Landslides kill 11 in China - Jul 01, 2009
- 16,000 evacuated in China amid flooding fears - Jun 30, 2011
- China infuses Yangtze river with one bn fish - Jul 12, 2011