Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead)August 23rd, 2011 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Heavy rains accompanied by strong winds lashed parts of the capital Tuesday afternoon, bringing respite from the muggy weather but leading to traffic snarls. The met office has forecast more rains in the evening.
“The city received 3.2 mm of rainfall between 8.30 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.,” an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official told IANS.
The rains resulted in waterlogging on some roads, affecting vehicular movement and leading to jams around the city.
Jams were reported from Narela in north Delhi, Seelampur in east Delhi, Qutab Road and Mori Gate in central Delhi, according to the Delhi traffic police.
The skies would remain cloudy and parts of the city shall witness more thundershowers in the evening, the IMD official said.
“The maximum temperature will hover around 34 degrees Celsius,” the official added.
The day had begun on a muggy and hot note for Delhiites as the minimum temperature was recorded three notches above average at 28.8 degrees while the humidity stood at 88 percent.
The capital has so far recorded 363.3 mm rainfall this monsoon — 25 percent below the average.
- Rains lash Delhi, more ahead Wednesday (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Thundershowers cool Delhi, more expected (Lead) - Sep 05, 2011
- Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Torrential downpour leaves Delhi in traffic snarls, chaos (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Rains in Delhi bring down mercury, cause traffic snarls (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi for second day, more expected (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Sporadic rain in Delhi, Thursday to be clear (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- More rains forecast for Delhi Wednesday - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: central delhi, east delhi, heavy rains, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, jams, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, monsoon, muggy weather, New Delhi, north delhi, rainfall, respite from, strong winds, three notches, traffic police, traffic snarls, tuesday afternoon, waterlogging