Rains expected in Delhi Saturday (Lead)June 22nd, 2012 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Delhi continued to reel under the scorching heat with the maximum temperature recorded at 43 degrees Celsius - five notches above average - and the city’s power demand reached a new high of 5,330 MW Friday. Respite is in sight with rains forecast early Saturday.
This is the fourth time in June that power consumption has broken all previous records.
The capital recorded the highest-ever consumption of 5,271 MW Thursday while June 16 saw the consumption peaking at 5,265 MW and reaching 5,178 MW June 1.
Friday’s minimum temperature was five notches above average at 32.4 degrees Celsius while the humidity levels wavered between a high of 46 and a low of 26 percent.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), Delhi might get some respite from the heat Saturday as the skies are expected to be partly cloudy while parts of the city may get light rains.
“The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to hover around 42 and 32 degrees Celsius,” said an IMD official.
Thursday’s maximum temperature settled five notches above the average at 43.6 degrees Celsius, while the minimum was six notches above the average at 33.6 degrees Celsius.
- Searing heat pushes power demand in Delhi to new high - Jun 21, 2012
- Power demand in Delhi reaches all-time high - Jun 22, 2012
- Drizzle Saturday evening gives Delhi respite (Second lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Delhi has another hot day, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Hot morning in Delhi, rain likely - Jun 22, 2012
- Sweltering day for Delhi - Jun 20, 2012
- Scorching day in store for Delhi - Jun 30, 2012
- Rain eludes Delhi, power demand again peaks (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Hot morning in Delhi, rains expected - Jun 01, 2012
- Searing day, no rains for Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- Clear morning in Delhi, light rains ahead - Jun 03, 2012
- Light rains forecast for Delhi Tuesday - Jun 05, 2012
- Scorching Sunday in Delhi, squalls likely (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Sunny Tuesday morning in Delhi - May 15, 2012
Tags: humidity levels, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, light rains, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, mw, New Delhi, notches, power consumption, previous records, respite from, scorching heat