Rains drench Delhi again, more showers likely (Second Lead)July 27th, 2011 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) A day after Delhi recorded its wettest day of the season, showers lashed the capital once again Wednesday — bringing down mercury levels but also causing traffic congestion.
The maximum temperature was recorded at 32.8 degrees Celsius, while the minimum stood at 25.6 degrees — both a notch below average for this time of the season.
According to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), some parts of the city received heavy rains, but the overall rainfall was recorded at 0.9 mm.
“Showers lashed major parts of north, west and central Delhi… a major portion of south Delhi had overcast skies but received no showers except for some drizzle,” an IMD official said.
Humidity wavered between a high of 89 and a low of 63 percent.
According to the Delhi Traffic Police, traffic jams were reported at New Friends Colony and Mehrauli in south Delhi and at Azadpur in north Delhi.
“I had to wade through knee-deep water to visit the neighbourhood market,” said Vikas Pahwa, a media student in north Delhi’s Model Town area.
Delhi has received a total of 192.2 mm of rains this monsoon season, a deficit of 23 percent compared to the average figure.
Weather conditions are expected to be similar Thursday.
“The sky will be generally cloudy and one or two spells of rains are expected. Some parts of the city may witness heavy rains,” the official added.
The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to be around 32 and 27 degrees respectively.
- Rains lash parts of Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Rains in Delhi bring down mercury, cause traffic snarls (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Thundershowers lash parts of Delhi, more rains Friday (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, more likely Tuesday - Aug 13, 2012
- Rains lash capital, more showers expected (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, heavy showers likely - Jul 13, 2012
- Heavy rains lash parts of Delhi, more expected Friday (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Rainy Saturday for Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Rainy weekend in store for Delhi (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Heavy September rains in Delhi, more forecast - Sep 05, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi, more ahead Wednesday (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: central delhi, drizzle, friends colony, heavy rains, indian meteorological department, maximum temperature, mehrauli, mercury levels, minimum temperatures, model town, monsoon season, north delhi, overcast skies, police traffic, south delhi, time of the season, traffic congestion, traffic jams, traffic police, weather conditions