Rain ushers in 2012 in AgraJanuary 1st, 2012 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Jan 1 (IANS) Farmers in Agra and Aligarh greeted the New Year with cheer after a spell of rain that they think will immensely benefit the wheat crop.
However, the New Year’s eve revelry was contained as a heavy downpour with strong winds disrupted power supply in the Taj city. The showers began around 10.45 p.m. Saturday and continued through the night.
“It was a blackout on New Year and parties were spoilt as there was no light,” said Lions Club member Sudhir Gupta. In some areas, there were reports of hail storms as well.
Another spell of heavy showers was witnessed Sunday morning, forcing tourists at the Taj Mahal and other monuments to rush for cover.
“The long dry spell has ended and one looks up to the New Year with hope,” said Padmini, a housewife.
- Heavy rains lash Agra - Jul 28, 2011
- Agra finally gets rains - Jul 26, 2012
- Rain brings cheer to Agra farmers - Jul 30, 2012
- Agra has first monsoon showers, plunges in darkness - Jul 06, 2012
- Taj city lashed by heavy showers - Sep 10, 2012
- Taj sparkles in rain, Agra totters (Letter from Agra) - Aug 29, 2012
- Downpour floods Agra streets - Sep 17, 2012
- West UP farmers upbeat after monsoon rains - Sep 01, 2012
- Heavy showers clean up Taj Mahal - Jun 09, 2011
- Agra top favourite tourism spot - Aug 01, 2011
- Drizzle dampens holiday revelry at Taj - Jan 03, 2010
- Tourists feel cheated on Taj lighting event - Nov 13, 2011
- Holi banned near Agra monuments - Mar 20, 2011
- Rains boost Agra's green cover - Sep 02, 2012
- Agra saw seven lakh tourists in October - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: aligarh, blackout, cheer, club member, dry spell, hail storms, heavy downpour, housewife, lions club, monuments, new year, power supply, revelry, showers, spell of rain, strong winds, sudhir gupta, sunday morning, taj mahal, wheat crop