Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelrySeptember 5th, 2011 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 5 (IANS) Even as Kerala gears up to celebrate the state’s biggest festival Onam later this week, people say the possibility of rain and rising prices may play spoilsport this year.
Onam festivities start Thursday and will peak the next day with Thiru Onam. The third day Saturday marks the culmination of Onam.
Since 1961, Onam is the official festival of the state. Legend states that on Onam, Mahabali, the mythical Asura king of ancient Kerala, visits his subjects.
“I am 61 years old and believe me, this is the first time I am seeing rains coming down heavily during Onam festivities. This can be a real spoilsport,” said businessman John Mohan.
The state meteorological department has predicted more rains for the coming two days.
Inflation too is another cause for worry, with the price of bananas, a key item that will be used in various forms during Onam, touching an all time high of Rs.42 per kg.
“Last year, it was Rs.30 and then too many were saying that is too expensive. If not for the vegetables and provisions that are being supplied through various state-run organisations, this Onam would have left the average citizen poorer by thousands (of rupees),” said Sajitha Jayakumar, a housewife in the commercial capital of the state Kochi.
On his part, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said his government is committed to ensuring a happy Onam for Keralites.
“We have ensured that every state government employee gets either a bonus or a festival allowance. Incidentally, quite a few categories of employees who have never got an Onam allowance have been given one this time,” said Chandy.
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Price rise, rain play dampener to Onam festivities - Sep 02, 2009
- High prices to hit Onam festivities this time - Aug 30, 2009
- Kerala's Onam thanksgiving for migrants - Aug 24, 2012
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Feasting, fervour mark Onam in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- It's Onam , but few homes will do the full 26-dish sadhya - Aug 24, 2012
- Kerala seeks chartered flights from Middle East - Jun 19, 2012
- Banana crisis hits Kerala (Letter from Kerala) - Jul 14, 2012
- Job hopefuls go on hunger strike on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Chandy seeks immediate reduction in Middle East airfares - Jun 10, 2012
- Prayers, flowers and feasts - Kerala celebrates Onam - Aug 23, 2010
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: bananas, businessman, categories of employees, chief minister, culmination, festivities, government employee, housewife, john mohan, keralites, kochi, legend states, meteorological department, onam, oommen chandy, revelry, rs 42, rupees, third day, thiru