Railways to take over East-West Metro projectApril 24th, 2012 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 23 (IANS) Railway Minister Mukul Roy Monday said that Indian Railways will soon take over the East-West Metro in Kolkata which proposes to connect North 24 Parganas district with Howrah district.
“We hope to take over the East-West Metro project. We have also sent an inter-ministerial note to the cabinet in this regard,” said Roy while addressing media persons here.
The union urban development ministry has a 25 percent stake in the project followed by the state government’s 30 percent stake in the Rs.5,165 crore project.
Roy said that Train Protection and Warning System, (TPWS) a safety device which is being installed in the Metro railway will be installed as a pilot project in other railways too.
Roy also stated that the pilot project of anti collision device (ACD) has not yielded desired results in the Konkan Railways and North Eastern Frontier Railway.
“The pilot project of ACD has not yielded desired results in North Eastern Frontier Railway and the Konkan Railway. But we are not rejecting the ACD technology as of now,” he said.
- Train anti-collision device trials not satisfactory: CAG - May 25, 2012
- Tunnelling work of Kolkata's East-West Metro inaugurated - Feb 26, 2012
- Railways pulled up over delay in safety steps - Sep 20, 2011
- Opposition slams government over 'political vacuum' in rail ministry (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Anti-collision device could have averted latest train accident - Jul 19, 2010
- Railways grappling with anti-collision device - Sep 02, 2011
- Why doesnt railways implement the anti-collision device, asks designer - Aug 13, 2010
- Anti-collision devices to cover 8 rail zones: Mamata - Feb 25, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee promises to make Indian Railways accident-free - Oct 27, 2010
- Kolkata Metro's route may be changed to save greenery - May 29, 2011
- Wheels of Kolkata Metro turn towards massive expansion - Jun 19, 2011
- Two Kolkata Metro stations to be named after journalists - Feb 07, 2011
- Bengal parties on foundation stone-laying, inauguration spree - Feb 27, 2011
- Poor funding, vision on rail safety causing mishaps: Experts - Jul 12, 2011
- Despite accidents, Railways dithers over anti-collision device - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: acd, crore project, development ministry, eastern frontier, indian railways, konkan railway, konkan railways, media persons, metro project, metro railway, mukul, percent stake, pilot project, railway minister, safety device, state government, train protection, urban development, warning system, west metro