Railways to probe if TN express fire was accident or sabotageJuly 30th, 2012 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 30 (IANS) Was it an accident or sabotage? The fire in the Tamil Nadu Express which killed 35 people in Andhra Pradesh early Monday was initially believed to have been caused by an electrical short-circuit but the railways would be probing it from all angles.
Railway Minister Mukul Rai has announced a probe by the commissioner-railway safety. Railway officials have not ruled out the sabotage angle.
The fire broke out between 4.30 a.m. and 4.45 a.m. in the S-11 coach minutes after the Chennai-bound train left Nellore railway station in south coastal Andhra Pradesh, about 450 km from Hyderabad.
The reported recovery of a kerosene can in the gutted compartment, the eye witness accounts and the speed with which the fire spread all point a finger towards possible sabotage.
Some witnesses said they heard an explosion before the flames engulfed the entire S-11 coach. They also claimed that three doors of the bogie were locked, making it impossible for people to escape.
Director General of Police V. Dinesh Reddy said that it would be premature to say anything about the cause of the fire without a thorough probe by the railways.
He told reporters that a railway employee near Nellore railway station saw the fire in the running train and alerted the authorities and police.
- Sabotage not ruled out in train fire: Roy - Jul 30, 2012
- 35 burnt alive as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Third Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Rs.5 lakh compensation for victims of Tamil Nadu train fire - Jul 30, 2012
- 35 burnt alive in Tamil Nadu Express blaze (Fifth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 35 killed as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Railways start probe into train fire - Aug 02, 2012
- Five killed as train catches fire in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- PM condoles deaths in Tamil Nadu train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- PM condoles deaths in Tamil Nadu train fire - Jul 30, 2012
- 18 train fire victims remain unidentified - Jul 31, 2012
- PM, Jayalalithaa condole deaths in train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- One killed as train catches fire in Andhra Pradesh - Jul 30, 2012
- 32 die as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Naidu blame railway's negligence for disaster - Jul 30, 2012
- Alive by God's grace, says train fire survivor - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,