Railways to get Rs.200 bn loan from JapanFebruary 13th, 2009 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 13 (IANS) Indian Railways will likely get Rs.200 billion (Rs.20,000 crore/$4 billion) from Japan for their rail freight corridor project, Railways Minister Lalu Prasad said here Friday.
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) will release the funds by the end of 2009, Lalu Prasad told reporters after presenting the interim railway budget.
The minister had last month visited Japan to smoothen out the formalities for receiving the soft loan for the dedicated freight corridor project.
The first phase of the corridor will link New Delhi and Mumbai.
JICA has agreed in principle to give the loan, but the Japanese are demanding that 30 percent of the work, including technical assistance, be provided by Japanese companies.
The dedicated freight corridor is aimed at reducing the pressure on existing railway lines, easing congestion, reducing delivery times and improving overall efficiency and productivity.
“Work will start this month,” on both the eastern and western corridors, Lalu Prasad said.
- World Bank offers India $975 mn loan for freight corridor - Oct 27, 2011
- Lalu Prasad wants Japanese style high-speed trains for India - Jan 17, 2009
- Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor making progress: Mukherjee - Mar 16, 2012
- Metro's phase 1 execution excellent: Japanese agency - Jul 31, 2011
- Japan commits Rs.130 crore for freight corridor - Oct 27, 2009
- Japan extends Rs.10,566 crore loan for 6 projects - Mar 31, 2010
- Dhaka to have metro with Japanese help - Mar 16, 2012
- India will run super-fast bullet trains - Jan 19, 2009
- Partner Japan to have 26 percent stake in DMIC - Apr 30, 2012
- Give top priority to dedicated freight corridor project: PM - Feb 09, 2012
- Karnataka mulls bullet trains for high-speed connectivity - Jun 04, 2012
- Karnataka clears second phase of Bangalore Metro project - Jan 04, 2012
- Japan considering soft loan to fund Mumbai Metro - Jul 31, 2011
- Mumbai elevated rail corridor may become a reality - Mar 14, 2012
- Japan aiding 11 forest project in India (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011