Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead)July 1st, 2010 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 1 (IANS) Rail traffic on the Kalka-Shimla track - a world heritage site - was restored after remaining disrupted for more than six hours Thursday in Himachal Pradesh, an official here said.
The engine of a passenger train, from Kalka in Haryana to Shimla, was derailed Thursday morning near Koti town. However, nobody was injured in the accident.
“Traffic on the rail line was normalised and the train from Shimla towards Kalka left at its normal time at 2.30 p.m.,” Shimla Railway Superintendent G.S. Rajput told IANS.
“Landslides on the track following heavy rainfall caused the derailment. Three train services from Kalka to Shimla and one from Shimla to Kalka were cancelled due to the derailment,” he added.
Each toy train - as it is popularly called - that runs on the century-old Kalka-Shimla rail line has seven coaches and can accommodate nearly 200 passengers.
The rail line, a 96-km-long narrow gauge railroad - originally built to ferry Europeans to Shimla, the then summer capital of British India - was chosen by Unesco as a world heritage site in 2008.
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stopped - Jul 09, 2009
- Forest fire disrupts Kalka-Shimla rail traffic - Apr 19, 2010
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Group travel? Charter a train to Shimla (With Images) - May 17, 2010
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Love on track - on Kalka-Shimla train - Apr 29, 2010
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- Himachal rail line reopens after seven months - Mar 31, 2012
- Trains back on Kalka-Shimla railway line - Dec 22, 2008
Tags: british india, europeans, haryana, himachal pradesh, july 1, landslides, narrow gauge railroad, passenger train, rail traffic, railway, rainfall, rajput, six hours, superintendent, thursday morning, toy train, train services, unesco, world heritage site