Rahul’s padyatra a political drama: BJPJuly 5th, 2011 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday termed Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s ‘padyatra’ in Bhatta-Parsaul village of Uttar Pradesh to raise awareness about land acquisition as a “political drama”.
“It is nothing more than a political drama and a political stunt,” BJP leader Rajnath Singh told reporters.
The BJP leader said the condition of farmers will not improve unless the Land Acquisition (Amendment) Bill is passed, which is in the hands of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government led by Congress.
“As far as the Land Acquisition (Amendment) Bill is concerned, the responsibility to have it passed is on the UPA government led by Congress, and he (Rahul Gandhi) is the general secretary of Congress,” Singh said.
“Since 2007 the Land Acquisition (Amendment) Bill has been pending and the government is sitting on the bill. If the government is actually a well wisher of farmers, they should bring this bill to the parliament as soon as possible,” Singh said, adding that BJP will support the bill once it is brought and see that it is passed as soon as possible with necessary amendments.
Rahul Gandhi is holding a march across Bhatta-Parsaul villages of Uttar Pradesh which saw fierce protests by farmers against inadequate compensation for land acquired two months ago.
“He is the general secretary of a big political party, the Congress party; he should show some responsibility though his behaviour,” Singh added.
- Rahul Gandhi's padyatra a political drama: BJP (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- From Bhatta Parsaul, Rahul takes forward campaign against Mayawati (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul's march to get feedback on land policy: Digvijay - Jul 05, 2011
- From Bhatta-Parsaul, Rahul leads campaign against Mayawati (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul halts at Rampur village - Jul 05, 2011
- As parties play politics of land, divides deepen (Roundup) - May 12, 2011
- I am with you, Rahul tells farmers in Mayawati land (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul plans to address Bhatta-Parsaul farmers - Jun 30, 2011
- Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helpless - May 12, 2011
- Rahul's rally not eyeing elections: Digvijay - Jul 09, 2011
- Bhatta-Parsaul report still in process: NHRC - Jun 23, 2011
- BJP slams Rahul Gandhi's Greater Noida visit - May 11, 2011
- Greater Noida: Gateway for Congress to western Uttar Pradesh? (Comment) - May 15, 2011
- Bhatta-Parsaul 'rape': Panel warns Uttar Pradesh - Oct 24, 2011
- Campaign to spread across Uttar Pradesh: Rahul Gandhi - May 18, 2011
Tags: amendment bill, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congress party, farmers, general secretary, inadequate compensation, land acquisition, necessary amendments, New Delhi, parliament, political drama, political stunt, progressive alliance, protests, rahul gandhi, rajnath singh, well wisher