Rahul to visit quake-hit Sikkim (Lead)September 20th, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 20 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will visit the quake-hit Sikkim Wednesday to take stock of the rescue and relief efforts, a party leader said.
Gandhi will stop at Gangtok en route to Meghalaya, where he is visiting as part of efforts to boost Youth Congress membership in the state, te party leader said.
He said Gandhi will meet party workers and officials to get a first-hand account of the extent of damage in Sunday’s earthquake. At least 50 people have been killed in the quake in Sikkim.
Gandhi will stop over at Gangtok on his way to Ampati in the West Garo Hills of Meghalaya, where he will address a meeting of the Youth Congress activists.
A party leader said Gandhi may also undertake an aerial survey of the quake-affected areas of Sikkim en route to Meghalaya.
Gandhi’s visit to Meghalaya is part of his meetings across the country to increase membership of the Youth Congress and encourage youth to join politics. Gandhi is Congress general secretary in charge of the Youth Congress.
“Rahulji is visiting Meghalaya to boost Youth Congress membership,” Indian Youth Congress chief Rajiv Satav told IANS.
Meghalaya is scheduled to go to the assembly polls in 2013. Ampati is the assembly constituency of Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma.
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Meghalaya - Sep 20, 2011
- Rahul visits quake injured in Sikkim - Sep 21, 2011
- Rahul pitches for Manmohan as PM candidate - Sep 21, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi's team performed well, says Youth Congress chief - May 14, 2011
- Rahul to visit northeast next week - Nov 03, 2011
- Maharashtrian made Youth Congress chief - Feb 03, 2010
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- Garo rebels demand withdrawal of central forces - Aug 04, 2011
- Mamata visits Sikkim, meets quake-affected - Sep 20, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi to kick start poll campaign in Tripura - Oct 17, 2011
- Chiranjeevi joins Congress - Aug 20, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi arrives in Jammu - Sep 27, 2011
- Party or government for Rahul? Both, say Congress members - Aug 03, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi assesses Congress' strength in Maharashtra - Apr 27, 2012
- Rahul to inaugurate Youth Congress show in Delhi - Nov 26, 2011
Tags: activists, aerial survey, assembly polls, chief minister, congress chief, constituency, earthquake, extent, general secretary, New Delhi, party leader, quake, rahul gandhi, rajiv, relief efforts, stock, west garo hills, youth congress