Rahul takes on BJP while in GujaratJanuary 30th, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Jan 30 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Friday took on Gujarat’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), accusing it of spreading fear to earn votes.This is what divides the politics of the BJP and that of Mahatma Gandhi, Gandhi told a mammoth rally at the Gujarat College ground here.
Without naming the BJP, the Congress MP said that “some people” indulged in “destructive politics”. He added that this is what the British did when they ruled this country.
And alluding to the Congress, he said there was another “politics which wants to unite the country”.
“If we search deep, we can realise the difference between the two (kinds of) politics,” he said. “The politics of breaking the country is borne out of fear. Spreading fear to scare one group of people from another and then reaping political dividend is its aim.”
Mahatma Gandhi’s politics, he said, was based on the concept of removal of fear from people’s minds. “This is what Hindustan needs right now,” Gandhi said. And this is what the Congress preached and practised.
Gandhi later administered oath to nearly 10,000 youths of the Seva Dal and the National Students Union of India (NSUI) to fight terrorism — under the “Abhay Udan, Mera Bharat Mahan” programme.
“Our country belongs to crores of people. Let no one be afraid.”
Without naming Pakistan, he said: “Our neighbour is turning to terror. We will not allow it. Not as ‘I’ or ‘you’ but as ‘us’ — Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims will fight together.”
Gandhi earlier visited the Mahatma Gandhi ashram at Sabarmati and also the National Institute of Design.
- Congress communalising war against terror: BJP - Jul 18, 2011
- Sonia's message to Congress workers: Fight BJP's propaganda - Sep 02, 2012
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Modi mocks at Rahul's peasant rallies, Congress fires salvo (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- Modi mocks at Rahul's peasant rallies, Congress fires salvo (Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- Rahul frustrates Modi, BJP: Congress - Aug 15, 2011
- PM has no control over decisions: Advani - Nov 05, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh set to vote amid hung house prediction - Feb 07, 2012
- Business jets make a dash for Vibrant Gujarat (Diary) - Jan 12, 2011
- Modi's fast: BJP top brass to attend; Modi condemns communalism - Sep 17, 2011
- Difference between what Chidamabaram says, practices: BJP - Feb 18, 2012
- BJP has saved democracy, says Yashwant Sinha - Aug 29, 2012
- Gandhi items' auction disappoints collector - Apr 18, 2012