Rahul Gandhi to kick start poll campaign in TripuraOctober 17th, 2011 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Oct 17 (IANS) With the visit of the Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi next month, the main opposition party in Tripura will kick start its campaign for the 2013 assembly elections in the Left-ruled state, party sources said here Monday.
“Rahul Gandhi will address two public gatherings in north and south Tripura Nov 8. With this, the Congress will launch its election campaign for the assembly polls, expected to be held Feb 2013,” Congress spokesman Tapas Dey told reporters.
During the day-long tour, Rahul Gandhi will be accompanied by Luizinho Faleiro, also a Congress general secretary and party in-charge of Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya and Sikkim, and few other central leaders.
“Rahul Gandhi’s visit will also boost the party organisation, which needs to be further strengthen to vote out the Left Front from the power,” said Dey, a former legislator.
“Central party leaders including Congress president Sonia Gandhi have hinted to go to any length, through democratic processes, to oust the country’s only Left Front ministry,” he said.
“I call upon the central government to take urgent steps to restore the civil rights, liberties and guarantees of freedom from fear to the people of Tripura, who are undergoing untold miseries at the hands of the fascist regime in the state,” Faleiro, a former Goa chief minister, said in a statement.
“No visible development has taken place in Tripura under the Left regime. Unemployment is at its peak and rising in an uncontrolled manner. A lot of financial irregularities are taking place,” he added.
- Rahul to visit northeast next week - Nov 03, 2011
- No report on president's rule in Tripura: Governor's aide - Jul 14, 2011
- Security, corruption issues in coming northeast polls: Congress - Apr 30, 2012
- Tripura worst-governed state in India, says Congress - Jun 07, 2012
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Crucial assembly by-poll in Tripura Tuesday - Jun 11, 2012
- Record 95 percent turnout in Tripura by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- President's son's visit exposes cracks in Tripura Congress - Sep 10, 2012
- Probe into recovery of bullet from Rahul aide - Nov 12, 2011
- Trinamool launches campaign to oust Left from Tripura - Aug 20, 2011
- Congress announces agitation to oust Tripura's Left Front - Jun 04, 2011
- Tripura's Left government promises corrective measures - May 14, 2011
Tags: agartala, assembly elections, central leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, congress spokesman, democratic processes, fascist regime, financial irregularities, freedom from fear, main opposition party, meghalaya, miseries, party organisation, poll campaign, public gatherings, rahul gandhi, rights liberties, south tripura, uncontrolled manner, urgent steps