Rahul could play a role both in party and government, says CongressJuly 21st, 2012 - 1:20 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) With Rahul Gandhi having agreed to take a more proactive role, the Congress Friday suggested that the role could be both in the party and the government.
Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said the party already has ministers who were also handling organisational work as general secretaries or as in charge of states.
“The option (concerning Rahul Gandhi) is open. It can be either government or government or both,” Dwivedi said.
He said the decision regarding larger role had to be taken by party president Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Rahul Gandhi himself.
“Whatever decision the three take, we will welcome it,” Dwivedi said.
Rahul Gandhi had said Thursday that he was ready for a proactive role in the government and party. He had said a decision had been taken and its timing will decided by party president and the prime minister.
Sonia Gandhi had said a day earlier that it was for Rahul to decide on playing a larger role in the party.
Party leaders have been making demands that Rahul Gandhi should play a larger role in the organisation beyond his present responsibilities in Youth Congress and National Students Union of India.
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul Gandhi to UPA government: Manmohan Singh (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Happy Rahul has agreed to proactive role: Digvijay - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul ready for 'pro-active' role, to be No 2 in party (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Rahul's remark triggers speculation about ministerial role - Jul 20, 2012
- Rahul poised for a bigger role, says Congress - Nov 09, 2011
- Will play more proactive role in party, government: Rahul - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul says he's ready for 'more proactive role' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia goes abroad for check up - Sep 01, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government, says PM (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Congress leaders tell Mukherjee he will be missed (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Party or government for Rahul? Both, say Congress members - Aug 03, 2012
- Congress defends Dikshit on CAG report (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: general secretary, India, manmohan, manmohan singh, national students, New Delhi, party leaders, party president, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proactive role, rahul gandhi, secretaries, sonia gandhi, students union, youth congress