Rahul commiserates with Bihar’s trafficked womenSeptember 11th, 2008 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 11 (IANS) Moved by the plight of the large number of women and girls trafficked in the wake of Bihar’s devastating floods, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi took time off from his tour of the flood affected areas to commiserate with one such group that has been rescued and promised them all help in rebuilding their lives.At his first stop at Araria Wednesday during his two-day visit to the state, Gandhi interacted with the women and girls of the maginalised Nutt community in a programme organised by self-help group Apne Aap Women Worldwide.
Many women and children who have been seperated from their families in the aftermath of the floods have been soft targets of notorious gangs and are being trafficked out of Bihar.
While interacting with the group, Gandhi said: “I have come to meet children like you who are affected by the floods to find out what needs to be done.” He also asked the girls about their favourite subjects.
Gandhi said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his mother and Congress president Sonia Gandhi had sent him to Bihar to get a first hand idea about the ground realities on the rescue and relief work being conducted in the state.
He also hinted that the centre might pump in additional resources over and above the Rs.10 billion that has already been committed, if the need for this arose.
Apne Aap Women Worldwide workers told Gandhi that there are people who are still marooned and waiting for assistance in Chhatarpur, Bhimpur Phari, Lalitgram areas of the state.
Founder president of the organisation Ruchira Gupta said: “Flood relief work needs to be both gender and caste sensitive to be equitable and sustainable.”
Gandhi also toured the flood ravaged Purnea and Madhepura districts.
- UN group honours Indian campaigner against sex trafficking - May 14, 2011
- Anti-trafficking organization training trafficked girls, women - Apr 29, 2011
- 'Punish clients, not sex trafficking victims' - Apr 05, 2011
- 10 missing girl students found pushed into flesh trade - Aug 04, 2012
- Indian activist Ruchira Gupta wins Clinton Global Citizen Award - Sep 25, 2009
- Kutcher meets Delhi's 'powerful girls' - Sep 01, 2012
- Hillary meets victims of human trafficking in Kolkata - May 06, 2012
- Health check-ups, legal aid pffered for women in Delhi - Jul 23, 2011
- Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescued - Jul 08, 2012
- Don't victimise sex trafficking victims further: experts - Oct 13, 2009
- Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescued (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Activists in Delhi urge calling off CWG - Aug 12, 2010
- Lightning kills three in Bihar - Jun 24, 2011
- Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fair - Feb 14, 2012
- International prostitution racket busted in Delhi - May 30, 2012