Ragging death: Four students expelled from Himachal collegeMarch 12th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Tanda (Himachal Pradesh), March 12 (IANS) Four medical students, arrested on murder charges following the death of their junior allegedly due to ragging, have been expelled from a medical college in Himachal Pradesh.
“All the four students, who have been booked on murder charge, have been expelled for two years,” the new principal of the college Anil Chauhan told IANS.
The four students are Abhinav Verma, Mukul Sharma, Ajay Verma and Naveen Verma.
First-year student Aman Kachru, 19, died Sunday - a few hours after being ragged late Saturday by the four final-year students of the Rajendra Prasad Medical College here, 20 km from the district headquarters town of Kangra.
“Their expulsion would be reviewed after two years,” he said.
On the basis of the post-mortem examination report, the police have slapped a case of murder (Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code) against the four students. They were earlier accused of culpable homicide (Section 304).
Meanwhile, the college opened with a condolence meeting Thursday morning and address by then college principal Suresh Sankhyan.
“The atmosphere remained grim throughout the day after the tragic incident,” Chauhan said.
Himachal Health Minister Rajeev Bindal described the incident as “painful and unfortunate”.
“A magisterial inquiry will look into the causes of the death of the student and fix responsibility of the people involved in the incident,” he said.
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts may return to college - Aug 23, 2012
- Four accused in Kachru ragging granted bail - Jul 18, 2010
- Bail to ragging accused sends wrong message: Kachru's father - Jul 18, 2010
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Bail hearing of Kachru accused adjourned till Monday - Jul 24, 2010
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Kachroo ragging death: Justice in suspended animation - Jul 17, 2012
- Trial court barred from deciding Kachru case accused's bail (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Timeline of Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case - Nov 11, 2010
- Four convicted in Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Bail of Kachru ragging accused cancelled (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Aman Kachru ragging case: Court to pronounce verdict Nov 11 - Oct 30, 2010
- Kachru's college principal forced to retire a day earlier - Nov 07, 2010
- Verdict in Aman Kachru's ragged-to-death case Thursday - Nov 10, 2010
- Charge sheet filed in Kachru ragging case - Aug 11, 2009