Radioactive food alert raised in BelgiumAugust 29th, 2008 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Aug 29 (DPA) Residents of the Belgian town of Fleurus have been told not to consume locally-produced vegetables and dairy products following a leak of radioactive iodine at a nearby nuclear facility, Belgian media reported Friday.The interior ministry has also issued a warning against the consumption of local dairy products. Fleurus is located about 60 km south of Brussels.
The warnings follow the discovery of unusually high levels of radiation in grass samples taken near the Institute National de Radio-elements, which makes radioisotopes used to treat cancer.
The European Commission said it had been notified of the radioactive leak, which was rated at Level-3 on the International Nuclear Incident Scale of seven.
“On the basis of the analysis of environmental samples, the Belgian authorities have now decided to implement protective actions, in particular restrictions on the consumption of local food produce (vegetables and milk), up to a distance of five kilometres,” the European Union’s executive body said in a statement.
Officials in Brussels said there was no evidence of anyone having been contaminated by the leak, which occurred last weekend.
- Japan dumps contaminated water into ocean - Apr 05, 2011
- Radioactive water from Japan n-plant leaks into Pacific - Dec 06, 2011
- Fukushima Governor slams Japan's nuke agency for late radioactive data - Apr 03, 2011
- Sea water off Kukushima has high level of radioactive iodine - Mar 24, 2011
- China to check its food, water for radiation - Mar 29, 2011
- Radioactive iodine detected in Tokyo tap water - Mar 19, 2011
- Will Japan's radiation leak reach India? - Mar 21, 2011
- Low levels of radioactive particles detected in Europe, source unknown - Nov 11, 2011
- Over-limit radioactive materials found in 11 types of vegetable in Japan's Fukushima Prefecture - Mar 23, 2011
- China restricts food imports from Japan - Mar 26, 2011
- Outflow of highly radioactive water from Japan n-plant stops (Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- Highly radioactive water leak in tsunami hit Fukushima nuke plant plugged: TEPCO - Apr 06, 2011
- Radioactive materials' level found 1,250 times higher than legal limit in sea near Fukushima plant - Mar 26, 2011
- Radiation from Japan nuclear disaster reaches Canada - Mar 29, 2011
- Japan may ban rice from near n-plant - Nov 17, 2011