Racist attacks: Faleiro says convert adversity into opportunityJune 2nd, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 2 (IANS) The racial attacks on Indian students in Australia should prompt the Indian government to increase the number of higher learning institutions in this country, says Goa NRI Commissioner Eduardo Faleiro.
Faleiro, a former union minister of state for external affairs, said while the attacks demanded the severest condemnation, India should convert adversity into opportunity. There have been at least five incidents of Indian students being attacked in Australia in less than a month.
“This is an opportunity for the Indian government to increase the number of higher learning institutes, both in terms of quality and quantity,” Faleiro told reporters at a press conference in Porvorim Tuesday.
He said the government should also facilitate private institutes to set up international quality educational hubs to tap enterprising students who have to leave India to pursue higher education.
Faleiro was also critical of Goa being projected solely as a tourist haven, especially when it had potential to do a lot more. “We should look at projecting Goa as a cultural as well as an educational centre of excellence,” Faleiro said.
- Migration of Goans needs to be documented: commissioner - Mar 14, 2012
- 'Goa-Oman direct flights could ease Goan NRI woes' - Jul 05, 2011
- Goa University to have chair on Indian diaspora studies - Jul 05, 2011
- Goa eyes expats as resource for educational institutions - Dec 07, 2010
- Goa sets up panel against fake recruitment agents - Sep 12, 2011
- Goa's NRI office to help migrant workers - Oct 13, 2011
- Russian, Israeli tourists more of menace to Goa: Faleiro - Aug 14, 2012
- Visa procedure streamlined for NRIs: Goa commissioner - Mar 11, 2011
- Crash course in Arabic for Goan Gulf job seekers - Sep 15, 2010
- Now, Portugal to have chair in Hindi, Indian culture - May 28, 2010
- 'Relief for PIOs, to be allotted extendable visas only' - Sep 29, 2010
- Indian students' flow to Australia radically down: Envoy - Jan 14, 2011
- Deal with Sri Rama Sene like a terror outfit, says Faleiro - Jun 25, 2012
- Need for Kerala to reform higher education: Experts - Sep 14, 2012
- Goa compiling blacklist of fake travel, job agents - Mar 11, 2011