Queen’s Baton Relay reaches ShimlaJuly 5th, 2010 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 5 (IANS) The Queen’s Baton Relay for the 2010 Commonwealth Games Monday reached Himachal Pradesh capital Shimla amid fanfare, an organiser said here.
The baton was received by Hamirpur MP and Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) president Anurag Thakur. It arrived from Dharamsala in Kangra district after passing through Hamirpur and Bilaspur districts.
“It’s a proud moment for the people of the hill state to receive the baton,” Thakur told IANS.
Vinod Kumar, joint secretary of the Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association (HPOA), said the baton would visit Solan and Sirmaur districts Tuesday. From Sirmaur, it would enter Uttarakhand after covering a distance of 560 km in the state.
“International shooter Samresh Jung would receive the baton in Sirmaur district,” he added.
The baton entered the state in Mehatpur town in Una district Sunday.
The baton has travelled nearly 170,000 km through nearly 70 Commonwealth countries before arriving in India for the Games scheduled Oct 3-14 in New Delhi.
Pakistan’s Olympic Association chief Syed Arif Hassan handed over the baton to Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi, who is also the chairman of the organising committee of the 2010 Games, at Attari border in Punjab June 25.
By the end of its journey, the baton would have travelled over 190,000 km, through different modes of transport across land, air and sea, in 340 days. This will make the baton relay 2010 one of the longest in the history of the Commonwealth Games.
The 2010 Commonwealth Games is the biggest sporting extravaganza being hosted by India since the 1982 Asian Games held in New Delhi.
- Queen's baton reaches Himachal - Jul 04, 2010
- Queen's Baton Relay enters Uttarakhand from Himachal - Jul 06, 2010
- Queen's baton to enter Himachal Sunday - Jul 03, 2010
- Queen's baton in Himachal (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Queen's Baton for Commonwealth Games reaches Shimla - Jul 06, 2010
- Queen's baton to reach Chandigarh by road - Jul 01, 2010
- Eminent sportspersons to carry baton in Chandigarh - Jun 29, 2010
- Queen's baton arrives in Shillong (With Image) - Jul 22, 2010
- Himachal to host National Indoor Games 2010 - Dec 14, 2009
- Queen's Baton Relay enters Uttar Pradesh - Jul 08, 2010
- Queen's Baton Relay to enter Uttar Pradesh Thursday - Jul 07, 2010
- Queen's Baton Relay comes knocking at Wagah June 25 - Jun 22, 2010
- 1,342 cricket teams in fray for Himachal's T-20 league - Nov 29, 2010
- Himachal to host two IPL matches in April 2010 - Dec 21, 2009
- Himachal hopes success of IPL matches would bring international matches - May 13, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, anurag, asian games, bilaspur, commonwealth countries, cricket association, dharamsala, hamirpur, history of the commonwealth, hpca, hpoa, indian olympic association, ioa president, modes of transport, organising committee, proud moment, punjab, samresh jung, suresh kalmadi, vinod kumar