Queen Victoria’s undergarments auctionedJuly 31st, 2008 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) Queen Victoria must be turning in her grave knowing that her undergarments have been auctioned, revealing her ample measurements. A pair of her bloomers, a chemise and a nightdress went under the hammer at Mackworth in Derby for 13,500 pounds ($27,000).
The cotton bloomers are monogrammed with a VR (Victoria Regina) and attracted bids from as far as Brazil, Russia, Hong Kong and New York. They finally went to a lady from Canada for 4,500 pounds, according to auctioneer Charles Hanson.
A London collector snapped up Queen Victoria’s chemise for 3,800 pounds. Her nightdress sold for 5,200 pounds to an American collector.
Hanson told The Guardian: “The atmosphere was electric and I am delighted that Victoria has been given a good send-off.”
The sizes of the garments gave an indication of her majesty’s measurements. For instance, her bloomers, dating back to the 1880s, measure 50 inches at the waist. The chemise has a 66-inch bust. The nightdress is only 50 inches long, suggesting she was as short as she was stout.
Queen Victoria’s underwear had been kept by one of her ladies-in-waiting and was sold by a family from Lincolnshire, who are said to be “delighted” with the outcome.
- Queen Victoria''s queen-size bloomers had a 50-inch waist! - Jul 12, 2008
- Personal belongings of Queen Victoria up for auction - Nov 01, 2011
- Queen Victoria's gifts to servant up for grabs - Jun 06, 2010
- 'Queen's undergarments' to be auctioned off in US - Dec 06, 2010
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- Queen Victorias bloomers sell for PS4,500 at auction - Jul 31, 2008
- Queen Victoria's silk stockings fetch sexy price at auction - Sep 04, 2008
- Moss nude portrait sells for 16,250 pounds - Nov 20, 2011
- Arpita Singh sets record as art mart booms again - Dec 11, 2010
- World's most expensive book to go under the hammer - Sep 09, 2010
- Little Chinese bowl fetches $2.5 mn! - Jun 09, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Britain's Royal Mail sells off undelivered items - May 16, 2011
- Rare Sex Pistols disc pips Beatles to be the most valuable vinyl - Apr 22, 2011
- Posh's blindfold surprise to spice love life with hubby David - Jul 11, 2010