Quake rocks northeast, buildings damaged in Guwahati (Lead)December 29th, 2009 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Dec 29 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 5.5 on the Richter scale rocked India’s northeast and neighbouring Myanmar Tuesday causing damage to properties and leading to cracks developing in apartments and other concrete structures.
According to the Regional Seismological Centre in Meghalaya capital Shillong, the tremor was felt at 2.32 p.m. No casualties were reported immediately.
The epicentre was plotted along the India-Myanmar border, 105 km southeast of Manipur’s capital Imphal.
Preliminary reports say cracks developed in apartments and concrete structures in Guwahati.
“A few apartment blocks have developed cracks with interiors, including toilets and wash basins in some offices, shattered in the impact,” said Arindam Das, a television journalist in Guwahati, who has captured images of the damage caused by the quake.
The tremor was also felt in Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur.
“People panicked and ran out of their homes and offices with buildings shaking for close to 20 seconds,” said Sharat Chandra, a journalist in Imphal.
This is the sixth earthquake to have rocked the northeast since Aug 13, according to the Regional Seismological Centre in Shillong.
The highest intensity tremor was Sep 21 with a 6.3 magnitude quake rocking Assam and Bhutan.
There was extensive damage in Bhutan as 12 people were killed and scores of buildings collapsed. Several apartments in Guwahati also developed cracks in the Sep 21 quake.
The seven northeastern states - Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur - are considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake prone belt in the world. The region experienced one of the worst earthquakes, measuring 8.7 on the Richter Scale, in 1897 that claimed the lives of over 1,600 people.
- 5.4-magnitude quake rocks Assam, Meghalaya (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake rocks Assam, Bhutan - Dec 31, 2009
- Quake jolts northeast India - Aug 19, 2012
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake rocks northeast India - Nov 21, 2011
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
- Small earthquake rocks Assam - Feb 23, 2010
- High magnitude quake rocks Bhutan, India's northeast (Evening Lead) - Sep 21, 2009
- Moderate quake hits northeast India, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- New system to monitor seismic activity in northeast - Sep 17, 2010
- Tremor jolts northeast, third quake in three weeks - Aug 31, 2009
- Quake hits three northeastern states - Dec 12, 2010
- Tremor jolts Northeast, fourth quake in three weeks - Sep 04, 2009
Tags: apartment blocks, arindam, concrete structures, epicentre, magnitude quake, manipur, meghalaya, mizoram, myanmar border, nagaland, northeastern states, quake rocks, richter scale, seismological centre, seismologists, sharat, shillong, television journalist, wash basins, worst earthquakes