Quake mock-drills in Delhi WednesdayFebruary 13th, 2012 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 13 (IANS) Mock-drills will be conducted Wednesday to test Delhi’s disaster response mechanism in the event of a high-intensity earthquake, an official said.
“It will be the first of its kind exercise in the country during which we will create a number of simulated situations like collapse of flyovers, crack in metro pillars, damage to hospitals and collapse of residential buildings due to an earthquake measuring 7 on the Richter scale,” said Divisional Commissioner Vijay Dev.
The mock-drills will be checked by creating simulated situations involving schools, colleges, Metro network, malls, markets, hospitals and road transport.
“All agencies and departments concerned, including the Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA), health department, Metro, police and transport department, are part of the exercise,” he said.
The mock-drills will be held between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Wednesday. The DDMA will issue traffic advisory so that commuters did not face any inconvenience.
A number of metro stations will be closed for up to half-an-hour and road traffic will be affected in many areas of central, south and north Delhi as part of the exercise.
- Massive mock drill conducted in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Delhi readies for mass drill to test disaster preparedness - Feb 15, 2012
- Mock drills at 11 Delhi Metro stations Saturday - Jul 27, 2012
- Drill to check Delhi's earthquake preparedness - Feb 14, 2012
- Mock disaster drill held in Delhi, will show loopholes: NDMA - Feb 15, 2012
- An earthquake in Delhi? No, just a drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Metro commuters hit by mock drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Mock drills at six Metro stations - Feb 13, 2012
- NDMA to conduct mock earthquake drill next year - Jun 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro mock drill hits commuters (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Delhi to have its own disaster response force soon - Feb 17, 2012
- Delhi Metro mock drills hit commuters - Jul 28, 2012
- Traffic tangles in Delhi after power failure, rains - Jul 31, 2012
- Quake death toll six in Bihar, officials say - Sep 19, 2011
- Power failure, rains hit Delhi traffic, commuters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: collapse, commuters, ddma, disaster management, disaster response, divisional commissioner, high intensity, inconvenience, management authority, metro network, metro police, metro stations, mock drills, north delhi, residential buildings, response mechanism, richter scale, road traffic, road transport, transport department