Quake jolts northeast IndiaAugust 19th, 2012 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 19 (IANS) An earthquake of moderate intensity shook India’s northeast Sunday afternoon. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage to property.
The quake measuring 5.0 on the Richter scale occurred around 3 p.m.
According to the Regional Seismological Centre here, the epicentre was in Tezpur, the district headquarters of Sonitpur in Assam.
Besides Meghalaya and Nagaland, the other states where the tremors were felt included Manipur, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
India’s northeast is considered the sixth major earthquake-prone belt in the world.
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake rocks Assam, Meghalaya (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Quake rocks northeast India - Nov 21, 2011
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
- Small earthquake rocks Assam - Feb 23, 2010
- Quake hits three northeastern states - Dec 12, 2010
- Three quakes hit Meghalaya, Assam - Jul 27, 2010
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake rocks Assam, Bhutan - Dec 31, 2009
- Quake rocks northeast, buildings damaged in Guwahati (Lead) - Dec 29, 2009
- Earthquake measuring 4.9 jolts northeast India (Lead) - Aug 19, 2009
- Tremor jolts Northeast, fourth quake in three weeks - Sep 04, 2009
- New system to monitor seismic activity in northeast - Sep 17, 2010
- Tremor jolts northeast, third quake in three weeks - Aug 31, 2009
Tags: arunachal pradesh, assam, casualties, district headquarters, earthquake, epicentre, meghalaya, moderate intensity, nagaland, northeast india, pradesh india, quake jolts, richter scale, seismological centre, shillong, sunday afternoon, tremors