Quake in northeast India, BangladeshJune 23rd, 2011 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, June 23 (IANS) A 4.2 magnitude earthquake rocked some parts of northeast India and adjoining Bangladesh Thursday evening, officials said. No casualties were reported.
According to meteorological department officials, the tremors occurred at around 6.09 p.m. with its epicentre along the India-Bangladesh border in Tripura. It was felt in some parts of Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya, southern Assam and neighbouring Bangladesh.
No loss of life or property has been reported yet.
“The exact epicentre of the quake was India-Bangladesh border with western Tripura. The tremor lasted for about four to five seconds,” Tripura meteorological department director Dilip Saha told IANS.
The Geological Survey of India had earlier notified that mountainous northeastern region could experience a devastating earthquake as the region, according to seismologists, falls in zone V, the sixth worst quake-prone belt in the world.
Assam experienced a massive tremor measuring 8.5 on the Richter scale Aug 15, 1950, that claimed some 1,500 lives.
The worst quake, measuring 8.7 was felt in the region in 1897. It killed 1,600 people.
- Moderate quake hits northeast India, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 04, 2011
- New system to monitor seismic activity in northeast - Sep 17, 2010
- Moderate quake hits northeast India, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- Northeast reviews disaster preparedness after quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Quake rocks northeast India - Nov 21, 2011
- Moderate quake hits Tripura, Bangladesh - Sep 11, 2010
- 5.4-magnitude quake rocks Assam, Meghalaya (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Mild tremor recorded in northeast India - Nov 18, 2009
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- Japan's quake rumble felt in Tripura assembly - Mar 11, 2011
- Small earthquake rocks Assam - Feb 23, 2010
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- 5.4 magnitude tremor jolts northeast, Nepal, China - Feb 26, 2010
- Mild tremors felt in Delhi, parts of north India - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: agartala, assam, casualties, department director, department officials, devastating earthquake, dilip, epicentre, geological survey of india, magnitude earthquake, massive tremor, meteorological department, mizoram, neighbouring, northeast india, northeastern region, richter scale, saha, tremors, tripura