Quake hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in north India (Lead)September 18th, 2010 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 18 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 6.5 on the Richter scale hit the Hindu Kush region in Afganistan early Saturday and tremors were felt in several parts of north India, including Chandigarh, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab, officials said.
“Earthquake tremors were felt at 12.51 a.m. They lasted for 55 to 59 seconds. The quake was of moderate intensity,” an official of the meteorological department in Chandigarh told IANS.
“Mild tremors were felt in several parts of north India due to its proximity to Afghanistan,” Shimla meteorological office director Manmohan Singh said.
The intensity of tremors was more in Jammu and Kashmir, compared to other areas, due to its proximity to Afghanistan.
However, no loss of life or damage to property was reported from any part of north India.
The quake was also felt in Pakistan’s Islamabad, Lahore, Peshawar and other cities in the northwest Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab provinces, said Pakistan’s meteorology office.
The temblor occurred in Afghanistan at a depth of 199.7 km. Its epicentre was 75 km south-southeast of Faizabad in Afghanistan and 115 km northwest of Chitral in Pakistan, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said.
- Quake hits Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2010
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Tremors felt in Punjab, Haryana - Sep 18, 2010
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits northwest Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremor rocks Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 7.3-magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan - Jan 19, 2011
- Moderate intensity quake rocks Kashmir - Mar 31, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Quake hits Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan - Nov 07, 2011
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
- Moderate quake recorded in Kashmir - Apr 01, 2011
- Moderate earthquake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 14, 2012
- Mild tremors felt in Delhi, parts of north India - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: chitral, earthquake tremors, epicentre, faizabad, himachal pradesh, hindu kush region, jammu and kashmir, khyber, manmohan, manmohan singh, meteorological department, meteorological office, moderate intensity, north india, office director, punjab officials, richter scale, shimla, south southeast, us geological survey