Putin wants changes in Russian space industrySeptember 1st, 2012 - 5:00 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin has sought draft proposals for restructuring the national space industry after a string of accidents that have compromised the country’s image as a leading space power.
Putin has tasked Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin and Roscosmos chief Dmitry Popovkin for this purpose.
“I think the problem is the structure of the space industry,” adding that “reshuffles in the structure should be made if necessary,” Putin said at the meeting.
Putin’s comments echo Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev’s last week’s call for the government to work out a plan to improve Russia’s space industry organisations.
During a meeting with cabinet and space industry officials Tuesday, Medvedev gave them a month to present proposals on “practical steps” to be taken to improve the federal space agency Roscosmos and tighten controls on spacecraft production.
There have been seven failed launches of Russian spacecraft over the past 18 months, which resulted in the loss of seven satellites, Medvedev said.
The situation represents a major challenge for a country that carries out 40 percent of global space launches, he added.
- Russia denies 'systemic crisis' in space industry - Sep 07, 2012
- Programme glitch led to Russian Mars probe failure: Report - Jan 31, 2012
- Russia to expand commercial space services - Jun 30, 2012
- Russia's space industry in crisis: Official - Dec 24, 2011
- Russian space firm accused of $17 mn fraud - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia looks for commercial space projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Russia to launch 100 military satellites - Feb 23, 2012
- Putin confirms Medvedev to be PM, given election win - Dec 02, 2011
- Russia, Kazakhstan extend Friendship Treaty for 10 years - Jun 08, 2012
- Putin vows to continue liberal reforms in Russia - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia's Mars spacecraft falls in Pacific Ocean - Jan 16, 2012
- Medvedev, Putin harvest corn at farm - Oct 26, 2011
- US to continue reset relations with Russia - Sep 25, 2011
- Russia to spend $21 bn on space industry - Sep 11, 2012
- Russia to invest $7 bn in space programmes in 2011 - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: deputy prime minister, dmitry medvedev, draft proposals, federal space, global space, industry officials, industry organisations, launches, national space, president vladimir putin, ria novosti, roscosmos, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, russian space industry, russian spacecraft, space agency, space power, spacecraft production, vladimir putin