Putin tests every meal before eating: Former chefJuly 25th, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 25 (IANS) Vladimir Putin is so paranoid about being poisoned that he has his every meal tested by qualified food tasters, a former chef of the Russian president has claimed.
The 59-year-old Putin has all of his dishes inspected by a medically-qualified professional sampler, who makes sure that it is completely safe to eat, says Gilles Bragard, founder of an elite group of chefs who cook for the world’s most powerful men and women.
“Tasters still exist but only in the Kremlin, where a doctor checks every dish with the chef,” Bragard was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
Bragard also said American presidents often liked their food “security cleared” before eating.
George Bush had two former FBI agents taste all of his dishes during a trip to London, the chef said.
He said American leaders are “particularly suspicious” of non-US food.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reportedly got rid of a French chef when she arrived at the White House because she found his cuisine “too rich”.
London-based chef Anton Mosimann, who has cooked for many British prime ministers, said Margaret Thatcher was concerned about cost, and once questioned the price of a veal steak and morille mushrooms offered to former French president Francois Mitterrand.
Thatcher congratulated Mosimann on the quality of the dish, but said it was “very expensive”.
According to the daily, US President Barack Obama hates beetroot while his French counterpart Francois Hollande hates artichokes.
Bragard said both Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel like cheese, while Obama and his wife Michelle like most fruits and vegetables.
- Indian cuisine is next main food fashion: Michelin chefs - Sep 20, 2012
- France votes in crucial presidential run-off - May 06, 2012
- Hollande, the next French president (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Francois Hollande: The next president of France - May 07, 2012
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
- Exiled Tibetans condole death of Mitterrand's widow - Nov 22, 2011
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- France votes as Sarkozy's fate hangs in balance (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Tibetan parliament congratulates France, Russia - May 09, 2012
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande vows to bring change - May 07, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- 'Foodistan' taught me about Pakistan's street food: Chef Manish Mehrotra - Mar 22, 2012
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: american presidents, angela merkel, anton mosimann, barack obama, bragard, british prime ministers, chancellor angela merkel, chef anton, daily mail, doctor checks, food tasters, francois hollande, french counterpart, fruits and vegetables, german chancellor angela merkel, margaret thatcher, morille, president francois mitterrand, professional sampler, vladimir putin