Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: OfficialJuly 19th, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The possibility of Moscow providing asylum for embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was not discussed during a conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and his US counterpart Barack Obama, a Kremlin official said Thursday.
“They did not discuss any destination,” Putin aide Yury Ushakov said.
The two presidents spoke Wednesday, just hours after the death of Syria’s defence minister in a suicide bombing in Damascus.
Ushakov also said the issue was not been touched on in a meeting Wednesday between Putin and Turkish Prime Minster Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Reports in British and Turkish media Thursday suggested that Assad’s wife, Asma, had fled to Russia after Wednesday’s attack on Syria’s national security headquarters.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov dismissed as a “joke” earlier this month the suggestion that Moscow could offer Assad refuge.
The Kremlin has come under international pressure over its refusal to back UN resolutions against Syria, Russia’s sole remaining ally in the Arab world.
But Russia says it has no interest in seeing Assad remain in power, but that the “Syrian people” should decide his fate.
A UN Security Council vote on a tough, new Western-backed resolution was postponed in the wake of Wednesday’s bombing in Damascus and has been rescheduled for Thursday.
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia, China veto West's UN draft resolution on Syria (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- West's Syria policy could backfire: Putin - Sep 07, 2012
- Putin warns against bypassing UNSC Syria veto - Jul 21, 2012
- Syria's Assad not ready to stand down - Jul 20, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Syrian defence minister, deputy killed in Damascus bombing (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Assad's wife not in Russia: Syrian envoy - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia, Iran oppose foreign interference in Syria - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: asma, barack obama, bashar al assad, damascus, defence minister, kremlin official, president bashar, president vladimir putin, prime minster, recep tayyip erdogan, ria novosti, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, security headquarters, syrian president bashar al, turkish media, un security council, un security council vote, us counterpart, vladimir putin