Putin, Abbas to meet April 18April 15th, 2008 - 5:55 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, April 15 (RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas will meet April 18 to discuss plans for a Middle East peace conference due to be held in Moscow, a Kremlin spokesman said Tuesday. Abbas, who is to arrive in Moscow Friday, will discuss bilateral relations with Russia besides the Middle East peace process during talks with the Russian president, the official said.
Russia is involved in the Middle East peace process as a party to the quartet of mediators along with the US, the UN and the European Union.
Moscow’s plans to host the conference in mid-June - a follow up to last November’s talks in Annapolis in the US - have received the backing of several Middle East states, including Syria.
“We cannot ignore any international meeting that will discuss our problems, and from all indications the upcoming meetings, especially the Moscow conference, will open the way to a real settlement along all lines of the Middle East peace process,” Faisal al Mekdad, Syria’s deputy foreign minister, told reporters in Damascus Monday.
Since November, Russia has urged Middle East states to implement agreements reached in Annapolis and to try to prevent unilateral measures.
The Middle East Quartet is set to gather April 17 in Amman, the capital of Jordan.
- Car bomb blast near UN hotel in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Putin's return will not change Russia's stance on Syria - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia supports creation of independent Palestinian state, urges talks - Jan 19, 2011
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Medvedev, Abbas to discuss Middle East peace process - Jan 26, 2010
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012